Ford B-Max Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up another graze on the windscreen (courtesy of the Local Authority road 'upgrading'), and started to ponder.
a) Being very old, I do not remember windscreens suffering so much damage thirty or forty years ago. For the old timers - were the screens better at resisting this sort of damage then, or do you think it is just a more testing driving regime nowadays?
b) We must all have seen the ads which promote windscreen repairs, but I know of no-one who has had screen chips repaired. Everyone in my experience, who has approached a windscreen company has been given a 'reason' why the screen will have to be replaced. Does anyone know of, or themselves had, a screen chip repaired?

I await the experience of the forum with interest.

Geriatricus

·
Registered
96 Posts
Also being very old I believe that modern windscreens are made as thin as possible and yes, they chip and crack very easily.
I have just had my Transit screen repaired, it is very good and only just noticeable, my insurance does chip repairs for free as do most Insurance Cos. they will come to your house and do it on the drive.

The old style toughened glass (1/4" thick (6 mm if you are metric brain washed) and they never seemed to chip or break) was much better.

A new windscreen on my Transit is £600 !!!

Geoff

1 - 2 of 2 Posts