Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worth pursuing the insurance company of a lorry that caused a chip / small crack in my windscreen? I have glass cover on my policy so only have to pay £85.

Basically I was travelling behind a lorry carrying a load of junk, something fell off the back, bounced off the road and hit my screen. I have their details but I'm guessing its going to be more hassle than it's worth?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Without evidence from a third party I think you would find it very hard to make a successful claim. If the truck belongs to a large company they may pay up to avoid bad publicity but smaller haulage companies will just blow you off.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Ryder. I would definately have rang the police reporting a vehicle with an insecure load( I promise you that I would have taken this option) if it did infact cause the damage to your windscreen, then I wold have contacted the owner of the vehicle and complained. I would have gone down the route of insurance as a last resort if the owner of the vehicle was reluctant. But given the time frame invlolved, I doubt this will be of any help.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Quite often chip repair can be done free if you have glass cover as its a LOT cheaper for the insurance companies. Essentially they grind out the crack and fill it with resin rather than replace the whole screen.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi,

While repair sounds good, I personally do not know of anyone who actually has been allowed to have it done. Everyone who I know who has had a chip has had the 'too big, too deep, wrong place, cannot on this screen' set of responses, I would be interesteed to hear if anyone has had a positive response, and how it turned out, especially on the heated front screen on Fords.

Geri

Edited by: Geriatricus

·
Registered
136 Posts
Actually I mentioned it because I had it done on a Vauxhall Vectra in 2002. It was a small chip on the nearside and it was done in a couple of hours. I had the car for another year and it seemed fine. Thing is it does have to be done quickly before a crack forms.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.