Ford B-Max Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have been looking on you tube about the SYNC functions, and discovered the video below. Feel free to watch the whole video, however the part I am interested in, is at time index 8:00. The person showing the features of SYNC goes into a settings page and brings up a WIFI configuration page.

My question is do we in the UK have these settings available to us as well? or is this only a USA thing?

My car will be in a driveway that falls within the coverage of my home WIFI router
, so being able to park up, and then come inside the house and throw some tunes out to the car storage (USB Pen Drive Connected In The Car) would be great.
.... Can anyone with the titanium model confirm this please?

<div style="text-align: center;">[TUBE]http://youtu.be/8K9cfp2Bmk0[/TUBE]

<div style="text-align: center;">

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I have since found out that the only version that has the WIFI is the Ford SYNC Touch (touch screen)apparently. :(

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Having anotherGadgetGeekMoment (G.<b style="line-height: 1.4;">G[/b].M
),

I have since found that if you have a spare
£92.60
(I dont either...), you could invest in a USB Pen drive that has the capacity to hold 16GB's of music (MP3's), and also has WIFI built into the drive too. It truly gives you the power to transfer, edit or remove music on the drive (in the car), while sitting in the house. Lazy I know, but pretty cool that you can send stuff to the car for storage, remember, it only has to be MP3 file format for the car to play it out the speakers, if it's a doc file, or XLS spreadsheet or any other type of computer file, the car willobviouslynot play it, but will still store it on the drive.

Another option, if you go weekends away and take the car with you, you can take video or pictures with your phone, and then upload them to the car for storage until you get home.. ha...

Another option is to upload a movie or several movies to the drive, and then if you have IPADS, the kids in the car can connect to the pen drive, and watch the movies in steam...

The only thing missing now is the red glow on the front of the car...

the price is a bit highunfortunately, but I could see many uses for a WIFI enabled storage drive in the car.

It's called :- "Maxell Air Stash 16GB Wireless USB Flash Drive", and isavailablefrom Amazon.

(Source Site:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxell-Stash-Wireless-Flash-Drive/dp/B007KLAZFC/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_t_1_8XY7)

Edited by: Davis_Zadian

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

<div style="text-align: left;">This is one of the SYNC controller boards, the brain that lives in the BMAX where the sync voice lives..
... (Gadget Geek Moment Alert) Sync runs on a Freescale i.MX51 SOC with a single-core ARM Cortex A8 processor running at 600MHz. Then 512MB of RAM and 2GB of flash memory round out the hardware. As for background software, SYNC is built on Microsoft's Windows Automotive, which in turn is based on Windows CE...

<div style="text-align: left;">

<div style="text-align: left;">There are 4 models of SYNC which are :

<div style="text-align: left;">Sync -
basic system
<sup style="vertical-align: line; font-size: 7px; font-family: fordngbs-antenna-small, Arial, sans-serif; : relative; top: -0.65em; line-height: 18px;">117</sup>comes with everything you need to stay in touch, entertained and informed with the peace of mind of 911 Assist®

<div style="text-align: left;">Sync With Voice Active Navigation -
Everything the basic system offers plus available voice-activated navigation, color nav screen and enhanced voice-recognition vocabulary.

<div style="text-align: left;">Sync With MyFord -
More information at a glance with a 4.2-inch cluster screen and a 4.2-inch center-stack screen.

<div style="text-align: left;">Sync With MyFordTouch -
On the leading edge of in-car, voice-activated convenience, recognizing 10,000 voice commands with an eight-inch color touch screen and Wi""‘Fi®
<sup style="vertical-align: line; font-size: 7px; font-family: fordngbs-antenna-small, Arial, sans-serif; : relative; top: -0.65em; line-height: 18px;">112</sup>connectivity.

<div style="text-align: left;">

<div style="text-align: left;">At best, I believe we have one of the first 2. The very last version listed above, is the only one with the WIFI feature. The rest of them have BLUTOOTH to link devices to the car like phones etc... and then they all have the USB connector for direct connection of music players, phones and all that good stuff..

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry

in answer to your question, there are 4 different versions of Sync. each a little better then the last..

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have emailed Maxwell about their USB WiFi Flash Drive, and asked them about it's operation, and they have replied (and given permission to post to group), with the following :-

"..As far as your question about leaving AirStash in the car and sending songs or other content to it via WiFi, this is possible, but may not be likely depending on how far away the car is from you. The car needs to be relatively close to you as the range on AirStash is 60 meters. That said, if you have AirStash in the car and can see it via WiFi on your computer, then you could transfer content from the computer to AirStash. We recommend a free program called CyberDuck for this. It is available at
www.cyberduck.ch
.."

60 meters range for the drive.... thats a fair old distance..

<div style="text-align: center;">[TUBE]http://youtu.be/kxdj2UKL18Q[/TUBE]

My car is about 3 meters away from the router,and no Fossil, I do not park my car in the lounge of my house..
... the drive is just point blank outside the front door, I have bought this drive now, well, the next version up... as it has support for SD cards, meaning that not only does it come with 16Gig's on the drive itself, but I can put in SD cards too, making it upgradable to an additional 64GB's.... should be enough to never use the CD player in the car...

Edited by: Davis_Zadian

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

<div style="text-align: center;">The Maxell AirStash arrived today, and for a USB Flash drive... it's HUGE...

<div style="text-align: center;">But it does everything it said on the tin, it has a capacity ofup to2Terra bytes, it will draw power from the cars USB port for charging it's inbuilt battery, Can provide wifi access to the drive for 7 hours when running off battery mode orindefinitelywhen drawing power from car / PC.

<div style="text-align: center;">When in battery mode, has a built in timer so that if nothing connects to it for up to one hour, it will automatically shut off the Wifi ability to save power.

<div style="text-align: center;">It does not need to be plugged into a PC / CAR / LAPTOP to access stored data either, so can be placed in a bag, or pocket and still have the ability to access the data via wifi connection (however for the car to see the music stored on it, will need to be plugged into the USB port of the car).

<div style="text-align: center;">You can pick a security encryption method so that noone else can access your data

<div style="text-align: center;">This drive will now live in my car and never be removed. When I park up, just turn on the WIFI mode of the drive, and walk into the house. I can then throw music/video/ files out to the car drive (as it will now be labelled) from the computer in the house.

Awesomeness!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just means I can send data to the car outside , from the PC inside. Music / video / applications / games... has a storage capacity that I will never fill up.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Wow I very much like the sound of this.

Like yourself my drive is slap bang out the front of my house and the router is in the corner near my door.

So I can leave this plugged into the car and sit with my laptop and transfer songs to it, get in and drive away listening to my new music, without unplugging anything. Awesome!

I also very much like the sound of using it as a media drive in my house, or a backup drive etc. - buying two might be a bit much though..

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will warn you, the physical size of the device is as long as a CD is wide... and will block access to usb ports directly next to the one you plug it into (which is why it's perfect for the car, only one port to worry about)... Other then that, the file transfer rate is decent, and as you can upgrade the memory cards that go into the wifi flash drive, you can go all the way up to 2 terra bytes (this would mean you buying a 2 terra byte SD card ). It comes with a 16 Gigabyte SD card.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As Dan was thinking of getting one (or two)... just wanted to make sure he had all the facts before he made a decision
.. so come on Fossil01... Hows the car? have you finished polishing it (this hour
)

·
Registered
213 Posts

Now, now you cheeky monkey, I'm still trying to get my mobile 'phone to work
yet alone polish the little beauty
!
No good, shall have to get me dealer to fit - can't get 'phone into the slot over the large knob

1 - 18 of 18 Posts