Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I intend to buy a b max but i am unable to choose the engine due to lack of knowledge about the different models, Any help re; 1.4 or 1 litre engines will be welcome.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi,

I'm on my second BMax with the vanilla 1.4 petrol, and they have done exactly what I asked of them for the last eight years, with the technically simplest engine in the range.
Like everything else in life, it depends what you want and what you are prepared to pay for.

Geri

Reactions: terry

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have the 1.0 litre ecoboost and i'm very impressed with it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a 1.0 ecoboost 125hp and it performs brilliantly. I have also actually seen 55mpg on the trip computer but you have to be very gentle on the loud pedal to achieve.

I ensure I observe a few things to ensure longevity of the plant -

1. Only use 97 ron petrol (this is on a sticker inside the fuel filler actually)
2. Change the oil and filter every 6000miles and not 12000.
3. Obey any warning lights on the dashboard including coolant temperature.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Very wise to change the oil every 6k; look after the turbo seals at the very least.
Mine is 125 ecoboost and I've looked on the inside of the fuel filler door which states 95 RON, or do you mean that you use 97 RON no matter?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Very wise to change the oil every 6k; look after the turbo seals at the very least.
Mine is 125 ecoboost and I've looked on the inside of the fuel filler door which states 95 RON, or do you mean that you use 97 RON no matter?
The exact wording on my inside filler cap (early 2015 build) recommends using the highest grade petrol you can. I use BP Ultimate which in my area is cheaper than the Shell equivalent.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
My 1.0 123 din B Max is brilliant. Does 120 mph and has averaged 46.4 mpg over 34,000 miles in the 4 years I've had it. I've never ever got near 120 mph though, but it's very comfortable and quiet at motorway speeds and accelerates like a 1.6. I've been driving for 45 years now and I'm enjoying the B Max more than any other car I've driven in those years and that includes a few big and powerful cars. I'm drooling over the new Puma though 😀

·
Registered
110 Posts
My 1.0 123 din B Max is brilliant. Does 120 mph and has averaged 46.4 mpg over 34,000 miles in the 4 years I've had it. I've never ever got near 120 mph though, but it's very comfortable and quiet at motorway speeds and accelerates like a 1.6. I've been driving for 45 years now and I'm enjoying the B Max more than any other car I've driven in those years and that includes a few big and powerful cars. I'm drooling over the new Puma though 😀
Concur with all of what you say including the new Puma!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a 1.0 ecoboost 125hp and it performs brilliantly. I have also actually seen 55mpg on the trip computer but you have to be very gentle on the loud pedal to achieve.

I ensure I observe a few things to ensure longevity of the plant -

1. Only use 97 ron petrol (this is on a sticker inside the fuel filler actually)
2. Change the oil and filter every 6000miles and not 12000.
3. Obey any warning lights on the dashboard including coolant temperature.
Forgot to add - do not under any circumstances allow a non franchised garage (for example) to use 5W-30 oil in the engine - it can "cause catastrophic engine failure"!
Only fully synthetic SAE 5W-20 Eco B oil to spec FORD WSS-M2C948-B must be used.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Forgot to add - do not under any circumstances allow a non franchised garage (for example) to use 5W-30 oil in the engine - it can "cause catastrophic engine failure"!
Only fully synthetic SAE 5W-20 Eco B oil to spec FORD WSS-M2C948-B must be used.

I do all my own servicing so no worries on that score.
To be honest we have ford vans at work and the dealer uses the cheapest oil they can get their hands on for the service so i wouldn't trust them either.
They usually put 20/50 oil in everything.:surprise:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Having had the last (proper) Puma Black available in Blighty, two decades ago (smashed into at 60mph by two giggling teenagers, leaving my wife with 2 years of physio, agro from the dealer repairing it - Godfrey Davis, Welwyn, then the car never quite feeling the same) I still miss it - only nowadays I’d struggle to get out of it compared to my B Max! 😳.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The exact wording on my inside filler cap (early 2015 build) recommends using the highest grade petrol you can. I use BP Ultimate which in my area is cheaper than the Shell equivalent.
I wonder what that means with the imminent introduction of a new (eco) petrol grade across the country? Will the Ecoboost require the current premium grade? 🤔

1 - 17 of 17 Posts