Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi first of all thanks for joining me to your forum , my question is I'm on the market for a b max petrol I got my heart set on the 1.0 litre petrol 123 bhp as what I've read is that it's more punchy than the 98 bhp and returns better economy I went to look at one and had test drive In a titanium model yesterday but it turned out it was the 98 bhp one but the guy at the garage tried to say the difference wasnt noticeable I don't do a massive amount of miles so what's your thoughts between the two pls and thanks in advance for any replies I may recieve

·
Registered
51 Posts
hello paul and welcome..i have the 98hp zetec..around town its great..on motorways (which i use frequently) it can take off like a scolded cat....only downside is at anything above 70 it drinks a bit quicker..i am very happy with the performance of my zetec

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I have the 123 bhp titanium x and it really goes when you need it to whilst most of the time you dont need that extra power. In my first 7,500 miles i have averaged 45.1 mpg.

Ive been driving over 40 years and its by far the best engine ive ever had on a car, even against a 2 litre mondeo i had for a while (which used to really drink fuel).

1.6 power when i occasionally need it and the economy of a 1.0. I really cant fault it.

Ive not driven the 98 bhp so cant comment on that, but 25% extra horses has got to make a difference. Check out tho 0 to 60 times for a clue.Edited by: cianpars

·
Registered
64 Posts
Our Bmax is used as a second car and covers very few miles (probably less than a 1000 a year at this rate). We decided on buying a 2014 reg 1.4 Zetec as we really liked the car but did not think the additional cost for the 1.0 litre engine was worth paying. Depending on your mileage you might want to think about the 1.4 as a possible alternative. Obviously, if it is going to be your main car I can understand why the 1.0 litre engine might be preferable.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Welcome Paul b. I can't comment on the petrol variants but the 1.6 diesel I have is currently returning 59.6 mpg on the clock. I am closer to 63mpg working it out with reciepts though.

·
Super Moderator
550 Posts
take it for a test drive, and buy it.at 1.2 tonnes, the bmax is never going to be on a boy racer list, but the 100ps is quite capable,
there are lower power ones (the diesel variants, and the 1.4 petrol) and people don't seem to complain that they are under power.

ps welcome to the forum ;-)))

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi Paul b, my B Max 1.0ltr 100ps zetec was purchased new in Jan 2015. and has far more oomph than both the 1.25 and1.4 fiesta's that i owned previously. I would however expect the 1.25ps B Max to have a fair bit more poke and from other postings on this site it appears to be more economical.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I specifically searched for the 123bhp version of the 1.0 Ecoboost across Northern England. Like you a salesman said that you would not notice a great difference between the 99 and 123. I paid no attention to them and managed to acquire a very nice 65 plate low mileage123 Ecoboost Zetec about 100 miles from my home. I havent looked back. What a brilliant engine. Quiet and torquey. Cruising at 90mph on the continent with more to come. Still cannot believe it is less than 1000cc and 3 cylinders. I have seen 55mpg on the computer but if pushed more like 45 - 50mpg. I thoroughly recommend the 123bhp version.

·
Super Moderator
550 Posts
I have done a bit of digging, and found that the 100ps seems to have the same power as the 125ps up to 4000rpm, then the 125 increases more.this review for the fiesta is interesting
https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/Ford-Fiesta-EcoBoost-100PS-Review-361

Really, your only decision should be whether to buy the 100PS or 125PS version. Theres around 500 between them, but theyre otherwise identical. The 100PS certainly isnt embarrassed by the brisker model, but if the extra 500 isnt an issue, wed still recommend the 125PS car ""“ to make those occasional motorway journeys just a little easier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.