Ford B-Max Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to get rid of my 13 year old Renault Scenic. Have narrowed down the alternatives and the B-Max is top of the list at present. Normally I would buy 2 or 3 year old cars, but what is out there is still quite expensive and I may go for new if I can get a decent discount. Still trying to decide between engines. Petrol (as I do mainly shortish journeys and not a big annual mileage). Not sure about the reliability of the Eco-boost or whether it really delivers the consumption claimed.
Have heard (apocryphally) of people 'cooking' the turbo and this being very expensive to repair. Therefore am wondering whether the 1.4 is the safer option.
This forum also seems to suggest some quality/build issues, but difficult to determine just how serious.
Has anyone had experience of buying via an Internet discounter such as Orangewheels, Broadspeed, Carfile etc?

Any advice (particularly on engine decision) welcome

·
Registered
230 Posts
As shown in the signature I actually have a 1.4 petrol Manual.

If you want super economy, and sparkling performance - DON'T buya B-Maxwith this engine. As I have posted elsewhere the body/power combination (90BHP in old money) do not make for a spectacular combination.
If you want excellent access, adequate lugage room, comfortable seating position, good quality ride, and are not bothered by sometimes slowing down on long uphill drags, then it is fine. As I fall into the second category it suits me perfectly. It is easy to put the child seats in and out, the steering column/driver seat adjustment seem to be able to accomodate every one from 4'11' to beyond my 6'0' and still have room in the back.

In terms of build, I knew I was gambling when I bought this car. It is a brand new model, built in a brand new factory (Craiova, Romania), so I am not surprised that there are teething problems. My own to date are the light cluster on the 5th door, but the dealers have been reasonably efficient and helpful in sorting it, (also had a 'vice' of the gearbox, where when cold it will baulk going into reverse unless you go into 1st beforehand, but a quick chat to the mechanics sorted that one).

Overall it does what I want when I want it up to now. I have been asked what I think of it and my standard response for all my carshas always been 'I'll let you know when I 've had it three years'

Geriatricus

Edited by: Geriatricus

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thanks for your PM. The 1.6 CRDI needs early gear changes on hills, second is not very responsive if you drop below 1500 revs. I find teenagers spreading themselves out in the front passenger seat tend to get their knees in the way of second gear engagement, and that you need to get in first if you want to use the front arm rest as many passengers take a liking to it. I am not short, but even with a cushion I find the arm rest a little too high.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Like Merton above, I changed from a 6 year old 2 litre diesel Scenic to a new B-Max only 2 months ago. I am so pleased I changed! True the B-Max is a bit smaller than the Scenic, especially in the back, the ride in the B-Max is a bit firmer than the Scenic, but in ever other way the B-Max is far superior.The B-Max is so much better to drive, the steering is so much more positive, the engine (1.0 litre) is so much quieter, the gear change so much more positive, it has a similar high driving position, the instrumentation is so much clearer and the Sony radio/Cd has a much better sound quality, better treble and bass. Road Tax on my Scenic was £260 per year, on the B-Max its free for the first year and then only £30 per year. I get about 52 mpg on long journeys with about 44 mpg on shorter journeys.
On top of this you get the advantage of the rear sliding doors.
Good as the Scenic was, the B-Max is a much better car to drive and it looks so much more modern.
I am sure you will not be disappointed if you change to a B-Max.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Was the road tax really £260 ??? I recently sold a Fiat Sedici 1.9 diesel, and the tax on that was £175.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Scenic is a 2 litre petrol and yes, the tax is £ 260. Also, the consumption is about 33mpg overall, but it can shift like a rocket even now.
We used to have a 1997 1.4 litre Mk IV Fiesta and that too was quite quick, but the B-Max is a significantly bigger body - hence my queries

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am still waiting for my car so am unable to comment on engines etc. but if you want a very good deal try Ford Retail, I got nearly £4000 in total of a 1000 titanium with sat nav and reverse camera. The only disadvantage was that I have to collect from Twickenham or Weston super mare as they are the closest dealers participating in the scheme. The offered me the same trade in value as my local Ford dealer who could not match my deal by over £1000. The local dealer will service and deal with warrantee problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice. Have had a look at their website and one of
their dealerships is within about 15 miles of me. I assume that your £
4000k reduction is made up of £ 2500 discount + the £ 1500 Ford-provided deposit contribution if you take out their finance? Or did you get a straight £ 4000 off the price? Did you talk to the dealership or do it all though the Ford Retail website?
Regards

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am taking the Ford finance route as it was by far the best value that I could find. I only spoke to the dealer after my order had been placed, this was after talking to my local dealer who could not match the price by £1000 to that offered by Ford retail. Ford retail sent me all of the order and finance details but the dealer informed me that Ford had agreed the finance.The appointed dealer seems OK despite the fact that they did not know that the factory was closing for 13 days during November so could not tell if my car would be delayed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No - it is not a 4x4. But you have encouraged me to check it out. Although it is a year 2000 build, it was originally sold in Cyprus. It is called an Rxi and has the exact same spec as an Rxe sold in England. This would normally have a VED of £ 225 (for over 1500cc on a 2000 build). But my car was first registered in the UK in Nov 2011 - and therefore is rated on the emission, as are all cars after 1 March 2001). At 190g/km CO2, that puts it into the J band - currently £ 260. Just another reason for the change as that is just about the same amount that a garage would give me in PEx!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, Road Tax on my previous Scenic was £260, maybe it was because it was a 2 litre diesel with automatic gearbox hence emissions were 184. Not only is the B-Max a great car all round but much better for the environment.

Talking about Ford Credit, not all Ford dealers offer this, but I took it out, borrowed minimum of £2500, got extra £1200 discount off the car and the interest on this over 2 years is only £200, hence I got an extra £1,000 discount. You can even pay off the loan early, say after 2 months and you will pay even less interest!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mine is the 1.0 ltr Zetec 120ps. I am amazed at the performance, it is quick and responsive. Fuel consumption is not bad and overall I really like the car. My previous car was a 1.2 VW Polo, comparing is like chalk and cheese, I much prefer the BMax.
My dealer almost matched the web price, near enough for me to stick with them.

As regards problems it is worth remembering that people tend to post when they have a problem, not many post when things are great.

It's a good small MPV with lots of gizmos, and the engine is amazing. Did I mention the engine?

Buy one now. Panther Metallic Black is nice.

Geoff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts