Ford B-Max Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any body knowthe tyre size for the 1.0 eco 120? want to set some steel rims and tyres.
Aslo know any cheap websites for the steel wheels?

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I don't know things like the offset yet but will look into it. Cheapest thing will probably be a set of focus or fiesta wheels since there will be plenty about but will need to compare sizes with them all first.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok folks.

there are no 16" steel wheel to be had for the Bmax.

Base model 15" steel's are the only option.

The Bmax is the first Ford in this country to use 'Globally Standard Wheelattachments' so you must use the Golbal wheel nuts -NOT THE OLD STYLE AND NOT THE ALLOY NUTS THAT COME WITH THE CAR.

The ford dealer said that the ABS system may have to be re calibrated for the smaller wheels.

BUT

I have it on good authority that the 15" wheel with winter tyre on is the same diamiter as 16" with standard tyre on. Taller side wall on smaller rims.

So no need to change the abs system.

the rims are £59
nuts £71p

tyre from £65 - 120

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Thanks for that, I do know that 15" / 16" right up to 18" should be the same rollingdiameter - the wheels get bigger but the tyres get smaller to compensate.

What are globally standard wheel attachments though? Never heard of that before..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a sheet from the Ford fast fitcenter.It states that the Bmax uses the globallystandardizedwheel attachments (nuts to you and I). The standardization of wheel nut seating will reduce the number of different designs to a minimum.

All about cost!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ordered winter tyre's on Steel 15" rims from MyTyres.co.uk

£445 for complete set inc rims with expensiveMichelin Alpin rubber (cheaper rubber isavailable).

Thought i would get these as i keep the car 5-6 years and they would last thelifetime(given3-4 months use per year).

You MUST get the global steel wheel nuts from Ford if you have alloys fitted as standard.

Bring on the SNOW!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
rogerhume said:
What about when you put on the steel spare wheel?Surely you don't have to change the nuts????
The spare is only on for a very short while whereas the alloy wheel can be on for years and subject to much more stress.

The torque would be different as may be the shape and there may be a washer on the nuts for alloys.

Some manuals offer guidance of a maximum of two weeks using the nuts for alloys on steel wheels. Maybe there is also a reaction between the metals?

I would play safe and have the correct nuts if fitting winter wheels but stay within the two weeks if using the spare. In fact I would have the spare removed the same day or certainly the next day.

Edited by: makem

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
darkclothdave said:
BUT

I have it on good authority that the 15" wheel with winter tyre on is the same diamiter as 16" with standard tyre on. Taller side wall on smaller rims.

So no need to change the abs system.

the rims are £59
nuts £71p

tyre from £65 - 120
As the sidewall is wider the 'feel' of the slip between the road and the wheel rim would be different. The ASB would be calibrated for a range of normal wheel which could be fitted without re-calibration ie. calibrated to a mid point. If you go outside the range then calibration would be required. My opinion only, not verified.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No quite right.

If you visit your Ford dealer he can give you a sheet with the breaking system illustrated on it and details of tyres for the B max range. On it includes the tyre size for winter tyres.

Use these tyres and there will be no ABS problems and the sppedo will be correct.

Or use mytres.co.uk as i did. Delivered to your door. If you choose steel rims then the tyres arebalancedand fitted - ready to go straight on the car.

I can hardly tel thedifference- slightly more road noise but the grip on wet roads and on the past weeks snow -BRILLIANT

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just got an offer

MSW22 + 195/60R15 Continental TS850 wintertire

for 5600 dkr.

I can se that this aloy have ET 22 - will this cope with the car - anybody knows.??

Regard

1 - 14 of 14 Posts