Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear so many horror stories about this chap snapping and killing engines. Ford say they should be changed at 150,000 miles or ten years. It is a mammoth job costing over £1000.
My car has covered 65,000 miles and is eight years old, should I be worried?

I have a mate who's Fiesta has succumbed to this horror with just over 55,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
358 Posts
I assume by "wet belt" you mean the timing belt or cam belt as it's sometimes called ?
If you can visually inspect the belt ( not always possible ), look on the side that has ridges, if they seem in good order all the way round then you can assume the belt is good. If however, you spot bits that are missing from the ridges it's a sign that the belt has begun to deteriorate and needs replacing.
Modern belts are capable of the mileage intervals stated by manufacturers, but that mileage assumes all the parts that the belt operates on are in good condition, a partially siezed water pump will put extra strain on the belt and reduce it's service life.
It is a fairly big job to have done and special tools are needed to lock the cam etc so the belt can be removed, the tool is outside the range of the home diy'er so if your belt needs replacing i suggest you use a good reputable independant garage that can do the work, it will cost far less than a main stealer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts