Ford B-Max Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
The washer jets on the b max seem to be solid. I have took one out and had my dealership looked at their demo car and they look like they have no adjustment, made of fixed pieces. I wanted mine a bit higher.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went on Friday to the Ford Garage where I bought the car in Bromley and the servicing man checked them and said they can not be adjusted and he checked another B-Max and the jet spray was identical. Not sure how we can go forward with Ford on this issue.

Ross

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi Ross,I've just joined this merry band today
. In the past I've used a sewing needle to adjust the jets.
Carefully place the sharp end of the needleinto the opening of the jet and move the nozzle to the requirement. Remove the needle, and try the jet for your needs. Repeat the process to get the result you want

·
Registered
637 Posts
I was going to suggest the same a Fossil01, but if its not going to budge I would request a FORD man to attempt to move them, benefitbeing that if they break them they will replace them for free... you break them you have to pay to replace them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately there are no nozzles to put a pin in to adjust. You will see they only have a slit. Ford have confirmed that these washer jets cannot be adjusted...period....They have given me a telephone number to call and make a complaint but I dont think this will help. I mentioned this to my son who is a car buff and he knew exactly what sort of jets and they are used on various other cars. I think they are supposed to not get iced up in winter.

Regards

Ross

·
Registered
637 Posts
Accordingto Kwik Fit ( or 'Have A Fit' as my dad calls them relating to how much they charge ),

"..During the MoT test we will check your vehicles Wipers and Washers ensuring they operate properly and give the driver a clear view of the road.
.."

So under that statement, I would guess it would fail under the notion that the wipers are not of sufficient length to give the driver a clear view.

(Source site :http://www.kwik-fit.com/mot-test.asp)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi modestmillionaire,

I should think that by the time your vehicle needs an MOT, that they'll say at the MOT Station, 'Well, if the reservoir is full and the washers work, where's the problem?'
I would assume that if the washer liquid hits the windscreen within the required dimensions of the UK MOT Requirements, they will pass muster

·
Registered
58 Posts
As a qualified MOT tester of some years standing, I can tell you that
quick fit, as usual are talking tripe. The washer jet only has to supply sufficient water to the screen. Aim is not taken into consideration, and the number of jets working is immaterial.(A double jet with one nozzle blocked is not necessarily a reason for rejection. The key word here is "sufficient"

·
Registered
58 Posts
D-Z What's crazy? Screen washer aim and jet performance is a service issue, not an MOT issue. Water just has to hit the screen in a reasonable quantity, nothing more. The whole test is about minimum standards.

·
Registered
251 Posts
So micky b-maxAs a long standing MOT tester, You must know how much water is sufficient or you would not know wether to pass or fail, and if you do not know how much it is or it does not tell you in the MOTregulations then surely it will come down to if they are spraying the screen properly.

Is there a set amount and if so how much is it ?

·
Registered
58 Posts
specialk, This is not an official VOSA test manual. I suggest going to google enter vosa mot testing guide and find section 8 in the mot testers manual. It does not fail split wiper rubbers per se. Just if they do not clear the screen effectively. Check out washers! Word for word:- "The windscreen washers do not provide enough liquid to clear the windscreen in conjunction with the wiper(s)". Nothing about blocked jets or hitting the screen exactly in the right place.
In fact you would be surprised just how much some garages abuse the mot system to their own ends. The VOSA mot testers manual is a good read. You can save yourself £££'s in potentially crooked failures.

·
Registered
58 Posts
specialk' If you pressed your washer button and the washer stopped after a nano second, then there will obviously not be enough water on the screen. Fail. If however you pressed your washer button and water came out in a quantity to give you a clean screen when the wipers operated then, Passed. There is no time scale, just press until the screen is clear.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks for the info mickyb-max.
Is it not like you say though that if there is not a set amount then it is then a subjective decision by each MOT tester and like a referee in a football game some will make a different decision, and some will pass and some will fail.
There again the good ones out there will surely alter them. It is not a major job !

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I have noticed that the jet on the drivers side now squirts at the extreme edge of the drivers side of the screen. On my car where the water hits is beyond the area wiped by the drivers wiper blade, Consequently the water just runs down the 2" wide strip that is not touched by the blade and is not used to wash the screen.

Of course as we have commented before, if we were in the EU this would not be a problem for the driver, just for the passenger. I found it difficult to wash the drivers side although the passengers side was washed quickly.

Traveling at speeds over 30mph the water hits the wiper blades when they are horozontal and you need to attempt to squirt whilst they are vertical to get some water on the screen Even then, the blades just push it downwards. What is needed is for the water to squirt ABOVE the blades when horizontal, that would allow the water to be moved across the whole area in both directions, up and down.

I think the whole screen wash set up is crap and far inferior to the many other car makes I have owned and driven here and around the world. Actually I have become very disappointed in this car. The idea is great but the implementation is poor. The engine is brilliant but the whole experience is spoiled by niggles which should have been ironed out a long time ago. I would think twice knowing what I know now before buying this car.

Edited by: makem

1 - 20 of 26 Posts