Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a really quick simple question for you all to peruse and, hopefully, reply to.

Is undertaking another vehicle illegal or legal ?
We all konw it's legal to undertake a vehicle that is turning right but what about one that is travelling straight as on a motorway for example ?
Your thoughts welcomed.

·
Registered
453 Posts
perfectly allowed if its traffic moving in lanes, usually coming up to junctions, or in slow moving traffic.
there are some tunnels where the lanes have continuous white lines meaning you cant change lane either.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Rule 268 of the Highway Code states – do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You may or may not be surprised to learn that undertaking is NOT illegal.
It is allowed in certain circumstances but is at the discretion of the police in others if you are spotted doing it.
Have a look at this video we were shown at work ---

·
Registered
712 Posts
Interesting video. I must admit i have undertaken middle lane hoggers a few times. I think if i were stopped by the police, then the "hogger" should be too !

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hogging is now illegal on the motorway and has been for around a year or so.
I suppose you would get away with it as long as the undertake was not deemed to be dangerous or reckless in any way.
I have also seen the police do it on the motorway but yet they did nothing about the car sitting in the outside lane for over three miles overtaking fresh air.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts