Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search for this but came up with no results.
Does anyone out there, who owns a B-max, have the under engine cover fitted ?
I only ask as my car does not have this, but i can see fasteners where i t looks like there once was a cover fitted.
I know it makes life easier when doing oil changes etc, but they are fitted for protection to the lower electrical connections and other bits.
I have found a place that sells them but they cannot tell me if the car was ever fitted with the cover when it was built.
Another reason i suspect mine was removed by a previous owner is the fact that i do not have the upper engine cover either. This cover i have so far been unable to source so if anyone knows a seller of the upper cover, please let me know.
So does anyone have either cover fitted ?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi Wiggy,
I’ve had two B-Max vehicles, no cover fitted on either car. Bottom one will be flimsy, not worth the bother.
It’s my experience that it’s the sort of item that’s victim to cost savings.
The top cover does nothing either. Proper covers aid faster warm up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The under tray causes problems at MOT time. The tester notes this on the certificate and appears to not remove it. It led me to be concerned that important items may have had to be overlooked?

·
Super Moderator
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The under tray causes problems at MOT time. The tester notes this on the certificate and appears to not remove it. It led me to be concerned that important items may have had to be overlooked?
I've never had issues at MOT nor has the tester mentioned anything about the cover on almost all my previous cars.
I do like the protection they give, not worried about the top engine cover though.
The one i have seen is very rigid and fairly thick, not flimsy like some mention, seriously considering buying it.

·
Super Moderator
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
as far as I can tell they were only ever fitted to the diesel cars
also seem to be a common part with the diesel feista
Splash And Heat Shields FORD B-MAX 2012- (CB2) (7zap.com)
Thanks for the info Gremlin, although it leaves me even more puzzled now !
Myself, and a nurse at the hospital i work at, both have identical petrol B-maxes, same year, colour etc.
Only two differences between them, reg numebr and the fact that her car has the underbody engine cover and she swears that it was on when she bought the car brand new from Ford dealer. The ford dealer however has no idea if the car was ever sold brand new with the cover fitted !!??!!

·
Super Moderator
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That write up contradicts itself in two areas.
First off it says that an mot tester can issue an advisory if he or she cannot do a full inspection to components or areas of the car that are behind the undertray as they could be worn or corroded.
Further down it says that an undertray is usually fitted to prevent dirt etc on the underside of the engine along with wear to items that are low down in the engine bay.
Surely if they tray helps prevent wear to items, they must be a wortwhile addition to any car.
All my previous cars that had an undertray fitted were never given an advisory at the mot.
I think i will still go ahead and fit one regardless of what that write up says.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts