Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone
I have just had my 1 year old B Max serviced it has done 6125 miles. The garage have changed the tyres round as my front tyres were doem to 3. They said I will need new tyres before winter. I have never before had a car thats tyres have worn so quickly. Has anyone else's tyres worn like this

Like to hear any views on this.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have owned my B Max since September and covered close on 9,000 miles. Granted, I had a set of winter tyres put on for the cold season, and estimate that both sets have covered around 4,500 miles.There is no evidence of any wear at all. I can only think that your tracking is out in a big way, and I am surprised that your dealer did not check this prior to their report on the condition. Take it back, I would expect 23 / 24,000 miles out of the fronts and 45,000 miles from the rear.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Andus said:
Hi Everyone
I have just had my 1 year old B Max serviced it has done 6125 miles. The garage have changed the tyres round as my front tyres were doem to 3. They said I will need new tyres before winter. I have never before had a car thats tyres have worn so quickly. Has anyone else's tyres worn like this

Like to hear any views on this.

You have grounds for complaint under warranty that the tyres or the suspension is not fit for purpose and needs urgent attention.

I would ask for written evidence that a thorough check has been made and any fault cured as the lives of those in the vehicle are in danger.

Make a fuss, speak to Fords B-MAX team. I can tell you no car will have tyres worn to such an extent unless maybe you live on a roundbout and enjoy driving round it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I agree it is very poor rate of wear and likely to be a wheel alignment issue. However proving that Ford set the car up wrong in the first place rather than the OP hitting a pot hole during the winter and putting the wheels out of alignment is the problem
Make a fuss but be prepared for compromise. You obviously want the wheel alignment corrected and some new tyres. Expect them to do the alignment for free but you may be asked to contribute to new tyres.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I do not think the dealer will make any contribution here, and will also probably charge for realignment. The problem is few people manage to get through a cycle between services without hitting a pothole or knocking a kerb, or even hitting a speed bump too fast. Whenever I check my tyre pressures I also have a visual inspection of the tyres, in fact I have aguague for the purpose; any early or irregular wear can then be detected.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Everyone
Thanks for your replies.
The tyres are not worn unevenly at all. The dealer said it was because they are wide tyres which I find hard to believe.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Andus said:
Hi Everyone
Thanks for your replies.
The tyres are not worn unevenly at all. The dealer said it was because they are wide tyres which I find hard to believe.

Rubbish!

Do they seriously think anyone in their right minds would buy a car which needed new front tyres every year?

The only way they could wear evenly that quick is if the were 'scrubbing' the road. For example if you put your foot down from a standing start. Even that would need to be often.

Pay a small fee for an independent assessment.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Agreed, the dealer is talking rubbish and obviously knows little about tyre wear or he would not have put your worn tyres on the rear.

Itis a common misconception that you need your best tyres on the front, in fact they should be on the rear. Poorgrip at the front causes under steer which is a safer problem to deal with than over steer which is what you get with poor grip at the back. If you feel your are losing grip at the front it tends to be gradual andeasing off the throttle or straightening out (if you can)soon cures it. If you lose grip at the back it can be very sudden and catastrophic, all of a sudden the car has spun out and you are in big trouble.

An extreme example is that a front blowout is much easier to control than a rear blowout

·
Registered
5 Posts
Firstly are you sure the tyres are down to 3mm? I only ask, as years ago a dealer told me I only had 2mm of tread left and tried to sell me a new set, when I stated that was untrue they corrected themselves and stated, it was 2mm till they needed changing. Whilst I'm not suggesting you were told untruths it's worth measuring them yourself.

Secondly I'm going to have to politely disagree with the above about having your best tyres on the rear.

The front tyres do the majority of breaking, drive the car and steer the car.
If the tyres were to aquaplane it's usually the fronts and either way if given a choice I'd prefer my rears to aquaplane rather than the fronts. Finally I'd prefer a car to oversteer rather than under steer, but I've never known a front wheel drive car to oversteer anyway.

ATB

Dan

·
Registered
69 Posts
Dan
Many people think your way. I used to. Do some research and I urge you to have a rethink. However, you are part way there as you admit to preferring an under steering car, but your aquaplaning thoughts are back to front.

Fronttyres aquaplaning = car goes straight on
Rear tyres aquaplaning = high risk of spin (no fun on a motorway)

Good point on depth measurement, they may be cheekily measuring to the wear bumps rather than true depth.

Dave

·
Registered
69 Posts
Oops! just re read your post Dan. You prefer an over steering car! Sorry for the mix up but my other comments still stand regarding best tyres to rear.
Cheers

·
Registered
418 Posts
Labour charges are a killer these days, if tyres are down to 3 m.m. they should be replaced, not juggled around the wheels.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi, a couple of points

I have had a 70mph blow-out on a front-wheel drive car; but it was on the back and I actually did not realisewhat hadcaused the large bang until I went to turn into the Services some miles on.I would assume that the assymetric pull,if it happened on the fronts, would be instantly and dangerously apparent, and so my inclination is to disagree with the reasoning on that subject

I had a C-Max from newa few yesrs ago, that chewed through its front tyresin a year (ca.12K miles); and had consistent tracking problems &high wear rateuntil I went to a 4-wheel laser alignment place. All 4 wheels were out and the rears were all over the place. Hence repeatedly re-doing the front tracking was only helping and not curing the problem.

As a result I would get a full alignment check done, but like the others I do not hold out much hope of recompense asthe blameis likely to get laid at the door of pot hole/kerb damage.

Geri

·
Registered
69 Posts
You were verylucky Geriatricus. Please don't just take my word for it, do some online research regarding front and rear tyres.
Many people have opinions, and that is absolutely fine, but when it comes to safety we should rely on facts from experts (not me!).

·
Registered
16 Posts
My mum's Bmax is on 16k miles and still on original tyres all round, fronts are i'd say about 3-4mm left on them.

It's a 1.6 auto aswell

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you do very short runs and a lot of tight parking you will scrub the tyres off with very low mileage but doing high mileage on the motorway will result in little ware. My B Max as got stability control I think they all do this helps to stop over or under steer.This brakes individual wheels and reduces engine torque, On a visit to a show last week I parked on a field then it rained they were pushing and towing car off because of new tyres and the E S P I drove off with no problems.Potter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you do very short runs and a lot of tight parking you will scrub the tyres off with very low mileage but doing high mileage on the motorway will result in little ware. My B Max as got stability control I think they all do this helps to stop over or under steer.This brakes individual wheels and reduces engine torque, On a visit to a show last week I parked on a field then it rained they were pushing and towing cars off, because of new tyres and the E S P I drove off with no problems.Potter.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts