Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have had my 2012 B-Max about 18 months now and I have found the ride not to be very smooth particularly over rough or bumpy road surfaces.
I was thinking that changing the tyres may improve things a little.
I have been looking at Michelin Primacy 4 and Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 2, has anyone had experience of either these two on a Ford B-Max, if so I would be grateful for your views.

Regards.

·
Registered
459 Posts
first thing to do is check the tyre pressures, it is all to common for fitters to inflate them to their maximum, rather than the correct pressure for the car.
also note the bmax had various sized wheel rims available, so not always a fair comparison.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi,

I must agree with Gremlin. Every time my B-Max is serviced, it comes back bouncing like a balloon because the garage has inflated the tyres to top pressure. The cure is to drop the pressures to the bottom limit for the loading use (for most of us 2 people & luggage) as shown on the front edge of the rear door pillar. The rfesult is a huge difference in comfort. This of course assumes the standard rims/tyres and highest profile tyres.

Geri

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
first thing to do is check the tyre pressures, it is all to common for fitters to inflate them to their maximum, rather than the correct pressure for the car.
also note the bmax had various sized wheel rims available, so not always a fair comparison.
Thanks for the reply Gremlin.
Yes I check regularly that the tyres are inflated to the recommended levels.
The tyres fitted are 195/55 R16, but they are all makes I am not familiar with, the front both sides are Champion FE1, the left rear is ContiPremiumContact and the right rear is Ingens A1, they were on the car when I had it.

How would you rate the smoothness of the ride from your B-Max.
I am comparing mine to the old Ford focus MK1.5 that I had.

Regards.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

I must agree with Gremlin. Every time my B-Max is serviced, it comes back bouncing like a balloon because the garage has inflated the tyres to top pressure. The cure is to drop the pressures to the bottom limit for the loading use (for most of us 2 people & luggage) as shown on the front edge of the rear door pillar. The rfesult is a huge difference in comfort. This of course assumes the standard rims/tyres and highest profile tyres.

Geri
Thanks for the reply Geriatricus.
The tyres fitted are 195/55 R16, but they are all makes I am not familiar with, the front both sides are Champion FE1, the left rear is ContiPremiumContact and the right rear is Ingens A1, they were on the car when I had it.

Regards.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Thanks for the reply Gremlin.

Regards.
check them with a different gauge, also its all too easy to misread between psi and bar.

though a very quick check indicates the tyres are not champion, but Champiro see Who knew Asda did tyres?
dependent on wear, perhaps put the current fronts on the rear, and any nice new higher spec tyres for the front.
also you could check the date codes on the tyres...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi again,

The ride on my B-Max is lovely (once the pressures are set as above), and as I have a bad neck I am susceptible to poor ride. A proviso in doing a comparison is that I have 195/60 R15 tyres on it. this provides the maximum Air/Rubber compliance between the suspension and the road. For information they are a Continental 'Contact' variant.

Geri

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi again,

The ride on my B-Max is lovely (once the pressures are set as above), and as I have a bad neck I am susceptible to poor ride. A proviso in doing a comparison is that I have 195/60 R15 tyres on it. this provides the maximum Air/Rubber compliance between the suspension and the road. For information they are a Continental 'Contact' variant.

Geri
Thanks again for the reply.
I have arthritis in the spine which is sometimes aggravated by an uncomfortable ride, hence my reason for wanting to try to improve it a little if that is possible.
The size differences between your tyres and mine may explain some of the difference in ride quality. I know tyres with a taller side wall and a smaller radius can give a smoother ride.

Regards.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi,

To achieve the same set-up as mine, it now looks like it goes down to how long you intend to keep the motor. You may be able to get some advice on swapping out your 16" whhels for 15" from this forum; but the cost and inconvenience would depend on how much you think it is worth. As it is not something I have ever done, I cannot comment on the feasability or cost of that exercise.

Goo#d Luck,

Geri

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,

To achieve the same set-up as mine, it now looks like it goes down to how long you intend to keep the motor. You may be able to get some advice on swapping out your 16" whhels for 15" from this forum; but the cost and inconvenience would depend on how much you think it is worth. As it is not something I have ever done, I cannot comment on the feasability or cost of that exercise.

Goo#d Luck,

Geri
Hi Geriatricus,

No I don't think I would go to the expense and trouble of changing the wheels and tyres in the hope ! that it may give the desired results.

Thanks.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I would normally say just fit cheep wheels and tyres from a fiesta, but I find these have a different offset. - so don't do that!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would normally say just fit cheep wheels and tyres from a fiesta, but I find these have a different offset. - so don't do that!
Thanks Gremlin,
No I will not be doing that. I believe my wheels have a more positive offset than the Fiesta's.
If I were to change anything it would probably only be the tyres.

Regards.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts