Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.Seven months ago I bought a 2014 (Oct .64) 1.0L 99 bhp EcoBoost from a Ford dealer. It had 11,000 miles on the clock. On pre-first-delivery inspection in October 2014 it had only 6 miles on the clock.
At the time of my purchase, the tyres were visibly only little worn, with no cracking or the like.
At that time I had no knowledge of DOT, nor of much else regarding tyres as I am a late-comer to car ownership.
By last October (the last time I had the tyres inspected) the car had done a total of 14,364 miles.
I have now been educated about DOT and see that my front tyres are 5216 (so were then 42 weeks old) and the rear tyres are 0314 (probably original tyres and were just under 3 years old).
At that time the front tyres were 31% worn and the rears 47% worn.
Assuming that the rear tyres are originals they were 47% worn after 14,364 miles.
The front tyres (which could only have been on the car since December 2016 at the earliest) were 31% worn after (only) 5,100 miles.
This begs the question: Assuming that the current front tyres were unused at time of fitting on my car, why had they worn at over twice the rate of the rear tyres (and presumably are still wearing at that rate)?
Of course, it is possible that the previous owner (who had the front tyres fitted) had bought part-worn tyres.
Also, the front tyres are 'budget' tyres and the rear tyres are not.
All that said, I would be very grateful to hear your experiences of tyre wear on a B-Max, especially front tyres, and any other comments you can make, please.

·
Registered
459 Posts
on a front wheel drive car you should expect the fronts to ware much faster than the rears, they are doing all the acceleration, steering, and most of the braking. in many ways the rears are just casters

·
Registered
712 Posts
Correct Gremlin. I changed my fronts at 20,000 miles. Rears still good at 25000 miles now.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Typically on my last 3 Fords, the fronts have laated over 20k and the rears aound 30k. I woyld say, however that it looks like my B MX fronts may be wearing slightly more quickly at 10k. We shall see if they make 20k.

If yoy buy a car with rears more worn than fronts, it could be that the previous owner rotated the tyres.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Wow! Just reading the mileages you 1.0 petrol owners are changing your front tyres at. I have the 1.6 diesel (which I thought would be heavier) and I am at 30k miles on the tyres that were on from new. Whats the deal with the petrol versions going through tyres that much quicker?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have a 1.6 petrol and still have original tyres at 29000+ miles.It's not petrol or diesel, it's hard or soft driving.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Number 6. Just looking through the posts, it appears that the people with what I think is premature tyre wear. Are from their posts appearing todrive 1.0 petrol engine B Maxes.

·
Registered
264 Posts
OK instructor, there may be an issue specific to 1.0 litre models but, generally, tyre wear is very much down to driving style, faults excluded.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Number 6, this is the point I was questioning. Why, does it appear the 1.0 petrols go through tyres quicker. Are the 1.0 models all fitted with the funny gearbox, is this something to be aware of if contemplating the purchase of a Newish B Max?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
My suspicion is that the 1.0 litre is a very light engine. That makes the front end a bit light and therefore prone to a little wheelspin and perhaps a little slipping of the front end.

It's power to weight ratio is high too, just adding to this.

Personally, I have historically run with slightly high tyre pressures and found lowereing them gave me a little more front end grip.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi cianpars, i entirely agree with your observations as this is a trait mine suffers from. It is especialy noticable when pulling away from a hilly junction, which i have to do on a daily basis, onto a main road and where due to parked vehicles i can only see for a short distance in both directions.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Yep, it's the hill junction in the wet where Ihaveto pull out quickly onto a busy main road that always gets me. Had a Fiesta before and did 20k miles without one wheelspin at all. My son has had it for the past year and still on the original tyres.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts