Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading an article from a noted motoring correspondent who commented that he always increased his tyre pressure in the winter because of the cold weather ... and then I remember some years ago another well known motoring writer commented that he tended to let tyre pressures down a psi or two because tyre pressures always increase as the tyres get warmer in use ... ok, fair enough but the manufacturer advises the optimum tyre pressure as i understand it ... for my own part I've found the 32/ 29 psi on the B max makes it a bit 'jittery' and the dashboard creaks and groans particularly in this colder weather ... so I've opted for a mild reduction in tyre pressures so the car is a bit 'smoother' when it rolls along ... ok I'll suffer a bit on fuel consumption but it's a nicer ride ... tho' I've still got the creaks and groans from the dash :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have them 35/30 and I do not get any creaks or groans but the Diesel is a heavier engine, Fords used to recommend higher front pressures for Diesel Engines but does not do so now.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I don't understand why you don't just stay with the recommended tyre pressures.

A lot of research by the tyre manufacturers and Ford has gone into deciding what pressure to run at. I feel sure the difference in volume caused by cold or heat above and below the recommended volume is so small as to be ignored.

Don't forget that tyres heat up when rolling, especially at speed and all that has been taken into account.

Under pressure causes outer parts of the tread to wear more and over pressure caused centre wear. Both cause less overall tread pressure to be in road contact and consequently less adherence.

If the difference in temperature caused significant change in road adherence to occur then surely the manufacturers would give specific advice rather than unscientific guessing?

What is the weight of fuel (40 K?)? That is changing constantly so do you factor weight change in deciding what pressure to run at? Do you change the pressure when one more or one less is in the vehicle?

For me, to many variables so I run on recommended pressures. I would hate to cause a problem and subsequent injury to occupants or the vehicle by outguessing the manufactures no matter what I read.

Just my thoughts

PS. Creaks and groans! Jeez, I would be round the dealers immediately if my car creaked or groaned! Iv'e had two now and not heard a creak or groan.

Edited by: makem

·
Registered
315 Posts
My recommended pressures are normal 32/29, full load 36/41, I have just had the original tyres taken off after 34500 miles and they were still legal and all worn perfectly level and to the same depth, so I think I am getting it right for my driving.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.