Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now then Fellow B Max Owners. The tyres that came on my B Max from new (can't remember which ones they are) are soon due for renewing. I am fortunate that I can order the tyres form online and have them fitted where I work. But! The question is after readin a review I am edging toward the brand Kumho!!?? The actual tyres I am looking at are the Kumho Ecsta HS51. The review I read was that they have excellent qualities all round especially in wet cornering. Now, I don't drive hard by any means but confidence in corners in the wet (from my motorcycling) gives more confidence. But1 and this is the biggy, I have never used this brand and don't know anyone that has. So any feedback/help will be gratefully listened too.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi!
My B-MAX has 2600 km and I don't want to change the tires...

It came with these: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Hankook/K425-Kinergy-Eco.htm

Now you say that you're looking for this stuff
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Kumho/Ecsta-HS51.htm which seems better than... originals. :>

I studied the market's offers for some good winter tires for the money I'll have to spend.
The conclusion is that I'll go for http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Continental/WinterContact-TS-860.htm because of the specifications and of the price my wife can pay being a Continental employee.
The confidence in the wet cornering is exactly what I'm looking for, as I used to mountain biking a lot on all kind of surfaces and I really know what can result if not enough adherence... ;)

P. s. Of course, I know no one using Kumho... :">Edited by: vdragoslav

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
vdragoslav. I hear what you are saying about the winter tyre choice, however, living in the UK and the "winters" we get. I am not willing to pay for 2 sets of tyres, nor am I going to go for winter biased ones. Just because of the price and storage of them. Not sure if it is a country thing or year difference, but I do know my B Max didn't come with Hankook as standard.Hywel, thanks for the vote in confidence in these. I din't mention it in my previous post, but. The Kumho score equally or higher than some of the top players, but they are at almost half of the price. Just not sure of the longevity of them. But then again, I reckon if they last for 20-30k miles.

·
Registered
315 Posts
You can keep Winter Tyres on all the time, I did that with my first B-Max they wear just the same, and they ride a bit softer, which I liked.

Edited by: jackkook

·
Registered
212 Posts
TheInstructor said:
The Kumho score equally or higher than some of the top players, but they are at almost half of the price. Just not sure...
I used to read "What HiFi" a few years ago...
I'd say that your statement is right in a certain price range.
I do not like it, but the price is indeed a parameter that reflects the quality.
The only way good stuff is underpriced is when a big warehouse wants to get rid quickly of a few items left unsold from previous season.
So I'd buy such stuff (as I mentioned) in February 2018 even if it's written DOT 0117. A big warehouse does have proper storage spaces, plus they have good prices the whole year, as importers or so.

As someone said about the engines (with carbon inside...) it's all about money companies gain selling stuff to us. They'd ask the price of a Michelin for a Hankook! Actually here Nokian is sold at such a price; people who do not have info, buy (or bites)! ;)Edited by: vdragoslav

·
Registered
212 Posts
There are people concerned about the way a tyre ages. They say that is somehow better to buy more frequently budget tires than expensive ones after a long period. :-?
I'd say "yes" and... "no"; "yes" because a "young" rubber indeed has fresh qualities and "no", on the other hand, because those qualities are way better at an expensive tyre (in the beginning) and many said they are preserved very well over time.
Of course, if someone may anticipate that a tyre will be perforated soon, it's cheaper to replace a budget (mid range and economy included) one. ;)Edited by: vdragoslav

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello Instructor.
I had a set of Kumho summer tyres on my Ford Cougar 2.5 V6. These were actually recommended by the owners club. I couldn't fault them. However, I can't vouch for their winter tyres.
I used Avon Ice Touring ST for my winter tyres when I owned a Jaguar X-type which was driven in snow and ice without problems although I did notice a significant increase in fuel consumption once the weather got warmer so I quickly changed back to the summer tyres. The last lot of tyres I bought were All Season as changing over wheels each year became a bit of a pain..

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi Thelnstructer. As an x biker of some 25 years or so. I swore by Dunlop and have always shod my cars with the same brand. I can only recommed Blu Fast Response. They have never let me down. Excellent in the wet, with all round superb handing. They do tend to wear a little quicker than other makes but that is down to a stickier compound. You can't have it all I guessEdited by: Willow

·
Registered
70 Posts
Overhere in Holland tyres made by Continental and Viking/Nokian have a good reputation.
I had Continental under my volkswagen cars and Viking under my SAAB cars.

·
Registered
212 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thank you.

My new B-Max has Korean Hankook tyres fitted,not Continentals.
This i find strange,the car was made in Rumania so why does it not have Continentals?
The Ford salesman says that Hankook is the standard tyre for the B-Max in The Netherlands.
Volkswagen still uses Continental tyres and rightly so.
Ford should be ashamed using Korean tyres for their Euroipean cars.

Edited by: Paul Stolk

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yours has KinergyEco as well as my B-MAX has, I presume.., right?!?

Do you know that there can't be found the price list of the new EcoSport on ford.ro? They had plenty of time since 1st of september (when the last B-MAX was made... :( ); people is asking for that info but no one at Ford cares...
I "said" that because it seems to me that Ford (Motor Company, Europe) looks more and more like a friend of mine (who works at his own travel agency) does not do any effort if he can't forsee an income over a limit, usually that being very high... X(Edited by: vdragoslav

·
Registered
70 Posts
It will come surely.The Ecosport is still fresh and only shown in the showroom.

In Holland price starts at Euro 21,855.- all in for the 1.0 Ecoboost.
Highest price is Euro 26,055.- all in for the ST-Line version.
In Holland we pay a lot of tax on new cars.

Cheers,

Paul.

·
Registered
212 Posts
It's MY mistake; please excuse me! :">
I saw on facebook a print screen of the mobile website that is outdated; I don't see other explanation...
Have a look here, if you want: http://m.ford.ro/BrosuriSiPreturi 15400 to 23650...

It's a mistery to me why you can still buy new B-MAX in the Netherlands while in Romania it's impossible!.. :-?Edited by: vdragoslav

·
Registered
70 Posts
You can only buy a B-Max in Holland from surplus stock,that are new cars not yet sold.When i bought mine,Ford in Rotterdam had some 36 in stock.
Once these have all been sold,there is no way you can buy one.

Cheers,

Paul

·
Registered
178 Posts
Interesting discussion this about the last of the B Max. Only recently whilst chatting to the sales manager at my local Ford dealer who assured me when this came up in conversation that brand new B Max were readily available and not believe everything you read about the demise of the B Max. He also went on to say, and I know some of you disagree but in his opinion, the new Fiesta Active due later this year is set to take over the mantle from B Max and not as some point out in this forum the Ecosport, which again in his opinion was never designed to be a replacement for B Max

·
Registered
70 Posts
Willow,

Thank you for these interesting comments.
The salesmen in Rotterdam kept their lips sealed,they only said new models would surely come.
I tend to agree that the Ecosport is not a one to one replacement for the B-Max,at least it does not look like it.
I just hope that we will not see another disaster as for the KA Plus,that car does not sell in Holland,it is ugly and overpriced and not even actively advertised by Ford,it is a deathborn baby!

Should also add that according to various sources production of the B-Max in Rumania has stopped.
We could not opt for Ruby red,we had to pick a color from the cars still available.
Ours has a Dutch registration plate going back to 20th July 2017,and sold new.

Edited by: Paul Stolk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.