Ford B-Max Forum banner

Travel partners

4K views 14 replies 2 participants last post by  jackkook 
#1 ·
Anybody up for a drive to somewhere in Italy returning via a different route in the new year?

Alternatively, what about visiting Malmo and driving over the bridge (As in The Bridge drama currently on TV).

Non-motorway as much as possible to see the countryside and stopping overnight or for days wherever the fancy takes us.

I have done numerous trips in th EU, the latest being to Amsterdam and surrounding country.

It would be nice to have company on a long trip. How about a convoy? ROFLMAO

#7 ·
Makem, to return to the original post "Travel Partners", there may be others who think like me, I cannot think of anything worse than going on a tour with someone else like you describe, but it takes allsorts, and some people may like it.

#10 ·
jackkook said:
Hi Makem, I like to make my own decisions and you can not do that if you are in party, I do not mean to make any judgement on what you or others do, but that is my opinion.

I understand as I also prefer to do my own thing. The group travel was a joke, however, it would be good for a pair of cars to travel together having decided roughly together the route. Then at any time and probably most of the time at stops, to part company and do your own thing if it works out this is best at that place.. No recriminations, a free feeling rather than be tied to a groups and trailing along.

I have done this in a couple of countries where travel can be a bit daunting and it worked well. Being able to back each other up on route is great and not to be tied is also great. Over dinner each day, the following days route and stops are decided but on route stop anywhere when something unexpected pops up, has worked well.

I lead a group (on foot) in Prague and Spain and felt forced into being the leader, making all decisions. I have also been in several lead groups in China where the whole group were Chinese and non English speaking. We went off and left the group several times over the days were were away from our base city. That worked ok but when I saw foreigners, mostly USA probably being lead by a flag to all the tourist places where the flag was paid a backhander, i felt sorry for them.

In a pair (2 x 2) it is much easier to meet the locals and be invited to places and homes/buildings where tourists never tread.

Of course it is also and advantage and takes off the worry when you are in a country where communication is not easy and problems arise.

I did assume ROFLMAO would be understood but maybe I should explain:

Rolling On the Floor Laughing My Ass Off.

#11 ·
Thanks Makem, you are educating me and perhaps some others in these initials for various things, but at least you got some response from me which I suppose was the object of your post, there has been total silence from everybody else, you obviously are a very experienced driver abroad, I have never been out of this country, except with RAF in Egypt in the fifties.

#12 ·
jackkook said:
Thanks Makem, you are educating me and perhaps some others in these initials for various things, but at least you got some response from me which I suppose was the object of your post, there has been total silence from everybody else, you obviously are a very experienced driver abroad, I have never been out of this country, except with RAF in Egypt in the fifties.

Yes, I have driven in all countries I have visited, some many times (except for China - just one drive). I will be taking a group of 4 Chinese to Paris and some other EU cities later in 2016 in a hired 7 seater for a week or so.

So, I would be happy to lead a drive of two vehicles in the EU and being in front would be a great advantage to someone who wants to drive on the wrong side of the road, lol (Lot Of Laughs), for the first time. After a few miles it becomes second nature, similar to towing, you forget the vehicle behind until you need to manoeuvre, so same with being on the right.

Go for it man! Motorway right to the hotel door in Paris and a reasonable charge for parking. Great fun driving in the City too although best to use the metro a few hundred yards from the hotel.

#13 ·
Hi Makem, I think it is to late for me to start driving on the wrong side of the road, so I must decline your kind offer, I feel at my age 80 I am lucky to still be able to drive long distances on the left.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.