Ford B-Max Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first time posting so hope I'm doing it right. Today our 63 plate automatic b max came up with messages "transmission malfunction, service now" and also the spanner light is on. I've read a few other posts on this but not sure if the car is ok to drive, if it needs a service ( and what kind of service) or if it needs to go to Ford for a diagnostic. It's got 30,000 on the clock, it's 2nd hand so unaware of previous service history. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
253 Posts
This was posted earlier this year as a means of resetting the transmission. Can't give any guarantees.

Make sureignitionis on butengineis off.
Press and holdbrakepeddle.
Move slowly though park reverse neutral drive and sport then back up to drive neutral with selector lever.
Your display in thedashboardwill now sayTransmissionready.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If its a 63 plate the gearbox will still be under extended warranty.

Give your local Ford dealer a call and ask them to have a look at it, but check that they'll do the work under warranty, at no cost to yourself, before you book it in.

They may even save you a journey and explain to you how to reset the transmission while you're on the phone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update garage said car needs new transformer module which is covered by extended warranty, yeah no cost to us. On the down side no car for at least 3 days and they 'dont' have a courtesy car. Apparently we're lucky were not paying for the new part!!! Customer service rubbish

·
Registered
120 Posts
3 days to replace the TCM sounds a bit extreme.

My car's entire clutch assembly was replaced in three days, and I think others will have experienced similar timescales.

Oh well, as long as it cures your issues I suppose its worth the wait. Maybe they have a backlog, and want to take the car in early to ensure to ensure you retain your place in the queue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would be very interested to know how you managed to get a dealership to agree to change the TCM under warranty.

I have the same juddering problem and have been negotiating with Ford for a month now to try and get the matter resolved. They are insisting that I pay for the dealership to carry out a diagnosis first before they will attempt a repair under warranty. This could cost me up to £250 apparently!

I tried to convince them that there was enough evidence that the culprit was the TCM, but they wont budge!

·
Registered
120 Posts
As you will know, Cliffy, the Powershift judder is a well known, well documented issue, and Ford have extended the warranty to cover this. All Ford dealerships will be aware of the situation, and should therefore waive the charge for diagnosis.

However, as you've discovered, there is some inconsistency. The first dealer I went to told me they would cover any problems up to TCM but that if clutch replacement was required, I would be charged for diagnostics. So I went to another dealer, and without argument they agreed to diagnose and replace the clutch pack at no cost to me.

My advice would be to try a different dealer, as you may find that they interpret the warranty conditions correctly. Unless its actually Ford and not the dealer who are stonewalling you, in which case I'd write to the CEO of Ford and complain.

Edited by: desthemoaner

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Dealer should not cause any grief as they claim the cost of warranty repairs back from Ford.

I once knew a KIA dealer who complained that he did not make any money from warranty work as the things were in his words "too bloody reliable".Edited by: cianpars

·
Registered
4 Posts
just read your post when I get message what do I do next tried starting engine but malfunction message comes back am I doing something wrong thanks

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hi Rockape, when were you in the RAF ? I was in in the fifties.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 17 plate Ford BMax, 1.6 auto, (which has just @12,180 miles on the clock).
Last week, I had to recharge the battery. After recharging, I was presented with an error message, “Transmission malfunction”, with the engine warning symbol appearing as amber. Since the warning has come up, I have had to do a few small trips as I live in a village without shops. It is clear from driving the car that the gear change is not happening at what could be considered the right time, with the engine sounding as if it is at too high revs for the speed before the change of gear occurs. Also, when initially driving off, the car feels as if it is kangarooing as I apply the brakes to leave my drive and at the crossroads at the end of our lane. The total distance for this element of the drive is no more than 200 yards and thereafter, I do not appear to have the same kangarooing effect.
I am trying to keep driving to a minimum as I’m not sure if the issue is mechanical or technology related. If it is mechanical, I understand that it could be expensive to rectify, which is problematic given the low mileage. In addition, and to my non-mechanical mind, if the problem is mechanical and had we done more miles, then it may have manifested itself during the warranty period.
I did approach the local Ford main dealer in Basingstoke with a view to them looking at the issue but was put off as they wanted to charge £109 just for plugging in a computer, as the car is out of warranty. My local independent Ford garage is currently closed for the next two weeks due to Covid.
Has anyone successfully resolved this issue without great expenses?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 17 plate Ford BMax, 1.6 auto, (which has just @12,180 miles on the clock).
Last week, I had to recharge the battery. After recharging, I was presented with an error message, “Transmission malfunction”, with the engine warning symbol appearing as amber. Since the warning has come up, I have had to do a few small trips as I live in a village without shops. It is clear from driving the car that the gear change is not happening at what could be considered the right time, with the engine sounding as if it is at too high revs for the speed before the change of gear occurs. Also, when initially driving off, the car feels as if it is kangarooing as I apply the brakes to leave my drive and at the crossroads at the end of our lane. The total distance for this element of the drive is no more than 200 yards and thereafter, I do not appear to have the same kangarooing effect.
I am trying to keep driving to a minimum as I’m not sure if the issue is mechanical or technology related. If it is mechanical, I understand that it could be expensive to rectify, which is problematic given the low mileage. In addition, and to my non-mechanical mind, if the problem is mechanical and had we done more miles, then it may have manifested itself during the warranty period.
I did approach the local Ford main dealer in Basingstoke with a view to them looking at the issue but was put off as they wanted to charge £109 just for plugging in a computer, as the car is out of warranty. My local independent Ford garage is currently closed for the next two weeks due to Covid.
Hi Hampshire Hogg.
I have a 63 plate BMax Auto and have exactly the same problm. Due to Covid, I haven't been using the car very much. In January I went to take the dog to the park and car wouldn't start - battery was totally dead, but managed to get jump start. After driving it for less than 2 minutes I realised it wasn't changing gear and Transmission Malfunction error message came up, so drove straight home. As it iwas due service and MOT in February I called Click Mechanic who came to pick it up by which time battery had died again!
MOT and service done successfully they "re-set the computer" which solved the problem. I didn't think to ask them how they did it. All things went well for about 4 weeks but then I couldn't use the car for about 10 days and battery died again. This week I got Halfords to supply and fit a new battery at home.
Now, this morning, I've got the same "transmission malfunction" error again. Aaaargh!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts