Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my B-Max more than 2 years now, and this morning was the first time that I had opportunity to drive it in the snow. So I decided to press the accelerator a bit harder to check the Traction Control. Front wheels started to spin freely, also tachometer shows engine spinning, no crumbling noise, no yellow signal on the dashboard, nothing. Later I checked the vehicle menu, TC was on, if I turn it off the yellow warning light will lit, so I turned it back ON. Tried also system check option, it says all systems OK.On my other car (Suzuki Swift) TC jumps in immediately when I try to start too hard in the snow, also yellow warning light start blinking, crumbling noise from front wheels etc.

What is your experience?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Traction control worked well on my 2012 fiesta. I can't say the same for the B Max. I believe that the front end of the B Max is a bit light due to the small lightweight 1.0 litre power unit making traction problematic.

I guess those with bigger engines may be different.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think the weight is the problem. B-Max is heavier than the Fiesta, and 1.0 ecoboost engine (at 100 kg) is not particularly light, despite the small footprint. Also the traction per se is not a problem (with snow tires there is plenty of grip), just TC couldn't be bothered to engage at all

·
Registered
161 Posts
Weight is not an issue. Yes, I found the same, no traction control at all; whether ESP works or not I don't know. Maybe a large empty car park in snow could be a test.
Traction normally uses ABS wheel sensors measured against a road speed sensor such as the gearbox output shaft. It's as if this isn't happening at all.
I've yet to find the steering angle sensor and the yaw rate sensor (normally mounted about C of G) which ESP requires.

Edited by: pegleg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts