Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way home from the dealer I purchased the car from
My tyre warning light came on. I phoned the dealer who told me to check the pressures.
He then told me how to 're set the warning light.
I did this and all was Ok.
Then two weeks later the warning went off again.
I got a six month warranty with the car, but have since found out the warranty
Does not cover the sensors, as they are classed a ware and tear.
This is because they have a watch type of battery fitted.and you can't replace the battery.
My tyre pressure on all tyres are ok, I have now checked every two days to see if I have a slow puncher.
So it must be a faulty sensor, trouble is the dash does not show what tyre.
So I took my car to a National tyre dealer and asked if this problem is an MOT fail.
yes they said if it showed on the dash.
now here is the grey area....if you reset the system and no warning light, it passes the mot.
So far I have found out that these sensors are not tested on an mot .
there is electronic device that can check these sensors but they are expensive at around £500.
Also be carefull , do not get the Ford sensors they are expensive, £120 each.
I am now trying to find a tyre dealer who can check to find which sensor is faulty.
Just one other point, if a battery fails you can not override the system.
and the tyre has to come off to get them replaced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
On my way home from the dealer I purchased the car from
My tyre warning light came on. I phoned the dealer who told me to check the pressures.
He then told me how to 're set the warning light.
I did this and all was Ok.
Then two weeks later the warning went off again.
I got a six month warranty with the car, but have since found out the warranty
Does not cover the sensors, as they are classed a ware and tear.
This is because they have a watch type of battery fitted.and you can't replace the battery.
My tyre pressure on all tyres are ok, I have now checked every two days to see if I have a slow puncher.
So it must be a faulty sensor, trouble is the dash does not show what tyre.
So I took my car to a National tyre dealer and asked if this problem is an MOT fail.
yes they said if it showed on the dash.
now here is the grey area....if you reset the system and no warning light, it passes the mot.
So far I have found out that these sensors are not tested on an mot .
there is electronic device that can check these sensors but they are expensive at around £500.
Also be carefull , do not get the Ford sensors they are expensive, £120 each.
I am now trying to find a tyre dealer who can check to find which sensor is faulty.
Just one other point, if a battery fails you can not override the system.
and the tyre has to come off to get them replaced.
I have found if you put air in the ture and don't reset the sensors the light stays out, I check my tyres weekly, but before that without reset my front off side had 20 psi in and no light

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not putting air in at the moment as pressure is all o.k
What I would like to know is.
If one of the sensors is faulty, can it be replaced with a standard valve.
And if this is done will the warning light stay on.
Something Ford have missed out on the B.Max , in not showing on the dash
which sensor is faulty.
I cant speak for other Ford models

·
Super Moderator
341 Posts
I may be clutching at straws here but if you had an OBDII reader would a fault code be present pointing you to the faulty sensor ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not sure what a OBDLL reader is.
I am not a technical person.
But I do know, some garages and even tire company's do not hold readers.
They just take the warning light, as the problem..no light is then ok.

·
Super Moderator
341 Posts
Garages WILL have OBDII scanners, modern cars are so sophisticated that the car tells the mechanic what is wrong with itself, this can only be done with a reader. You can buy one from Amazon or eBay that do basic checks, some even point to specific faulty items like TPMS, the more expensive readers will point to which sensor is faulty. The expensive ones are usually to be found at a repair garage as they can be £1000 upwards.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Wiggy.
I have been doing some more digging.
I have spoken to three national tyre garages and at least half a dozen repair garages
and I have had the same reply.And they do not have readers, and rely on the cars computers/dash.
If the light flashes and /or turns red then it's an MOT fail. If the light stayed on
Then just put more air into the car.then it passes a MOT.
I am going down the route of checking pressure every two days now
and take it from there.

·
Super Moderator
550 Posts
I have spoken to three national tyre garages and at least half a dozen repair garages
and I have had the same reply. And they do not have readers, and rely on the cars computers/dash.
I think you need to ask them again, since their web page indicates all of their centres have the equipment.
"Trust National for TPMS
At National Tyres and Autocare, every branch is equipped with the digital, diagnostic and hand tools necessary to service or replace the TPMS sensor valves on every make and model of car. If you are unsure about anything regarding TPMS, please ask a member of staff who will be delighted to help."

maybe, they are responding to how the mot test checks them. OBD is not used for mot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ha.ha.Dont belive what you see.
I have been to a national tyre depot this week to gwt that done a 30 mile round trip, and they did not have any testers.
But would order all four in if i wanted.
£120 each..ford ones.
Today i asked , ats euromaster and they advised as i put in my previous post , they only check the lights on the dash...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I went to Ford PartsPlus and got 4 sensors for £12 each...
I do work for a car dealership so they did give a little discount to me.
I then got my workplace to take each tyre off and fit the new sensors.
I then took it to KwikFit and they reset all the sensors using there wireless OBD scanner. Cost me £5

In total I paid about £60 for all 4 new sensors.

Also check the spare tyre if you have one... Sometimes these also have sensors in them.

·
Super Moderator
341 Posts
and I have had the same reply.And they do not have readers, and rely on the cars computers/dash.
If that's the case then i would never step foot in the premises again.
We use National Tyre centres at work for our vans and i can definately say they DO have the equipment to scan the TPMS valves as they have just done one of our vans that had a slow puncture which was a faulty valve.
My advice would be to find a decent garage that actually uses tools to do work, they will have the readers needed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks All.
Looks like you have had better luck than me.
If the problem continues I may try kwik fit
I did have a problem with them sometime ago.
I had to have new rubber gaters fitted on cv joints.
And they used plastic cable ties.
they got found out and since then I have stayed well clear.
I don't have a spare, but looking on e.bay for a space saver.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thanks All.
Looks like you have had better luck than me.
If the problem continues I may try kwik fit
I did have a problem with them sometime ago.
I had to have new rubber gaters fitted on cv joints.
they got found out and since then I have stayed well clear.
I don't have a spare, but looking on e.bay for a space saver.
I have an unused spacesaver c/w kit available £40. Difficult to post but I am in East Anglia and could meet up if reasonable distance. Send PM if interested.

·
Super Moderator
341 Posts
That is quite normal procedure when fitting new rubber CV boots, Nothing wrong with that at all.
Having said that, i would not use Kwik Fit for anything, the people that work there are not trained at all in any speciality, they are just fitters, nithing more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts