Ford B-Max Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I collect my B Max next week and would like to have a tow bar fitted the service department at the dealers said it would be better to get one from a tow bar company. As anyone had a tow bar fitted? As any one had problems with a tow bar?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Potter I have fitted the same tow bar twice to b-max. As I have had two B-maxes I have fitted and removed to the first one and then transferred to the second. Both titaniums. The first time took five hours and the second time tookjust overtwo hours.

I have to say DO NOT get a cheap tow bar and electrics. You will kill your car. The electrics are a CANbus system and only the original equipment will work properly. A tow bar and electrical kit will setyou back over £350 at dealer prices. I fitted mine myself and found it a drawn out drama but fairly straight forward. The kit comes withall instructions which areeasy to follow and quite comprehensive. Help will be needed to remove rear bumper as it is quite awkward to manoeuvre. I have to say though that I am a garage owner and have use of all needed equipment. However, anyone with a fair knowledge of practical car maintenance will be able to do this work in my view. There is some info dotted around these forums that I have already posted, so check out my posts. If you go ahead and do it I can offer practical help. If you purchase one from Fords and get a local trusted garage to fit it, then no dealercomputer updates to software are necessary. I can't understand why the dealer is so scared of doing this for you. It is an easy task for a professional. If you were closer to Nfk I'd fit it!!

Edited by: micky b-max

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Its the electrics
that bother me some companys supply dedicated wiring looms would these be o k or do they have to be ford parts.I would have it fitted.Edited by: potter

·
Registered
58 Posts
As long as the wiring is compatible with the CANbus system then it would be OK. It's the piece of seven core and packet of scotchloks of yesteryear that would be a disaster!! One other point; if you have a park pilot fitted then a removable tow hook would be an advantage asthe park pilotwould pick up a fixed hook and cause it to bleep. I know from experience. I have to unbolt my fixed hook every time I'm not using it. I know it's only two bolts but a quick release lever would be more convenient. Good luck!

Edited by: micky b-max

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help I've contacted 5 towbar fitting companys I had 2 replys only one offering dedicated wiring fitted at home less than 500 pounds.Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
54 Posts
potter said:
Thanks for your help I've contacted 5 towbar fitting companys I had 2 replys only one offering dedicated wiring fitted at home less than 500 pounds.Thanks again for your help.

HOW MUCH????????????????

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi the price is for a Witter detachable towbar (f161q) with 7pin dedicated wiring fitted at home or work. 490.78

·
Registered
54 Posts
potter said:
Hi the price is for a Witter detachable towbar (f161q) with 7pin dedicated wiring fitted at home or work. 490.78

One for my 2013 Focus is less than £300 from the same company. What a rip off for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The towbars for the B Max are much more expensive than any other Ford, The wiring costs more than the towbar.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I think if I needed a tow bar, and had to pay £500, I would buy a used car already fitted for the purpose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts