Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone Just joined the forum. Got my Titanium last October and love it. Still finding out little things and gadgets even now!
Has anyone fitted a tow bar yet? The wiring seems straight forward enough but the instructions seem to relate to left hand drive cars only. In the instructions, a cable goes down the right hand side of the car to the fuse box, but the fuse box is on the left side on a right hand drive. This means that if the cable is sent down the left side it won't connect to the rear harness because the connector will be on the wrong side of the car. If anyone can help it would be great!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
micky b-max said:
Hi everyone Just joined the forum. Got my Titanium last October and love it. Still finding out little things and gadgets even now!
Has anyone fitted a tow bar yet? The wiring seems straight forward enough but the instructions seem to relate to left hand drive cars only. In the instructions, a cable goes down the right hand side of the car to the fuse box, but the fuse box is on the left side on a right hand drive. This means that if the cable is sent down the left side it won't connect to the rear harness because the connector will be on the wrong side of the car. If anyone can help it would be great!
I have been looking into fitting a tow-bar or at least a power outlet in the boot for a cool box.

Any
chance of posting your wiring diagram so I can see what is involved and
whether I need use a garage. Ford say the on-board computer will need
to be told there is a tow-bar or outlet.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Makem, I'll send it ifit's in the book no problem. The instructions are at my workshop at the moment but I can collect it tomorrow and sort it tomorrow evening.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Makem,Ok then. There is no schematic diagram in the instructions but, working it out I can see the solution.
You need the twin wire cable "C" from the towbar wiring kit. This runs fromfront to rear, inside the car and has a thick red and a thin, yellow/brown. It costs about £15.00.
At the top of the drivers kick paneland adjacent to the throttle pedal are a pair of wires in an orange connector;a thick, brown/yellow, and a thin, brown/blue. The cable, "C" connects to this an runs under the door framelower trims/carpet. Insert a 20 amp fuse in fuse position F20 and there you are. 12v in the rear!! I actually solved my own problem as well whilst investigating your query.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to add Makem,There is nothing in the instructions to suggest that the ECU will need to be programmed for a tow bar
here are the words:-
Not fo DIY fitment
Check radio code
Avoid cable damage. Ensure contact with sharp edges is prevented
Install parts as shown in illustrations
Re-connect battery
Check operation of 13 pin socket
Re-fit panels etc

It does say that in the event of an indicator bulb blowing on the trailer the flash rate will increase.
So there is no audible or trailer lamp on the facia panel.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
micky b-max said:
Hello Makem,Ok then. There is no schematic diagram in the instructions but, working it out I can see the solution.
You need the twin wire cable "C" from the towbar wiring kit. This runs fromfront to rear, inside the car and has a thick red and a thin, yellow/brown. It costs about £15.00.
At the top of the drivers kick paneland adjacent to the throttle pedal are a pair of wires in an orange connector;a thick, brown/yellow, and a thin, brown/blue. The cable, "C" connects to this an runs under the door framelower trims/carpet. Insert a 20 amp fuse in fuse position F20 and there you are. 12v in the rear!! I actually solved my own problem as well whilst investigating your query.
Many thanks for that information. It looks like it may be quite easy.

I assume F20 is in the fuse panel? Does the £15 wire include an outlet or do you need to buy a socket of some sort which fits somewhere in the boot area?

The tow-bar wiring sketch shows the £15 wire going to the tow-bar, by "cable 'C'" do you mean the wiring is in two parts?

Cheers.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that John. The connector is on the right side regardless of Left or Right hand drive . The picture was a bit misleading.
Makem, the fuse is in the panel behind the grove box. Cable "C" has an identicalconnector on each end, sort of [l--] shape looking from the end. It ends at about the rear wheel box. This plugs into and powers cable "A", which has the 13 pin socket on it. Cable "B" connects to cable "A" and breaks into the cars original harness. It's just plugs and socket science!! So there are three cables in all. I suppose a short fly lead from cable "C" to your device will do it. When you see it you will recgnise that it is a very common connector and you may be able to source the parts from RS components or Maplins. It really doesn't look too difficult a job. Good luck

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fitted the towbar yesterday. Not the worst job in the world, but some concentration needed. Took about four and a half hours. It helps to have full workshop facilities, although I'm sure it can be done on the ground by someone younger than me!! Some pitfalls, not least of which is the bumper removal. It's such an awkward shape that, when you pull it off, it drops out of your hand and onto the floor. So, someassistance neededat this point.Anyway, done now and if I can give tips not shown in the instructions, (and there are a few)to anyone thinking of fitting one then feel free to ask.Cheers Micky

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Makem Just a small box van that I made to carry the band equipment that I play in. 400kg fully loaded. 200kg empty.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Nice

At one time I made a camping trailer from the rear running gear of a mini and fitted my own towbar

The problem with small trailers is they are prone to theft when you park them up otherwise I would make a double cycle carrier trailer. Even having two folding bikes does not leave a lot of room in the car with luggage.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You are so right Makem. I'vethought about the theft bit myselfand I'm trying to find/source a lock frame or device that clamps the draw bar to the ball. I've never seen one in caravan accessory shops.
How are you progressing with your rear socket project by the way?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
You could make a lock quite easily by adding a plate with a hole between the bar and the ball. A cycle lock chain/cable could then lock the trailer to the plate. Something similar could be made up for removable towbars. Does your towbar fitment not have a loop to attach a braking cable?

My problem was leaving the trailer wherever you stayed when you went off exploring.

I needed the information only at this stage. I will get around to it when the weather warms up and it is comfortable to work outside. I don't now have a large enough garage to work in. I miss my pit, lathe and workshop

·
Registered
637 Posts
Perhaps a new forum thread called "HOW TO" could be of use, where driver personal guides (which are far better then any manual) could be placed. I mean at the root of the forum tree of this site. I know there was someone asking about how to set up their phone with SYNC in another thread.... could be useful to put them in one place ?!?!?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,Please ceould you tell me which towbar you fitted and any help would be really kind!!! IE did you solder the wires to the loom, what are the coloursetc
Thanks John

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi John 24, I fitted the Ford one complete with wiring kit, they are not cheap. The wiring has pre-fitted plugs andfittings which connect to the cars original loom, so there is no soldering or joints to be made. There is an amount of panel removal inside the car. The towbar comes with full instructions and is not too difficult to fit.There isanother thread on these forums (Towbars postedby Potter, page 4 Main Message Centre)that may be of help, but basically DO NOT fit an ordinary seven core cabletype electrical system as you will damage your electrics beyond repair. The wiring must be suitable for usewith a canbus system, a system that sends digital datasignals down the wire. The towbar I fitted was genuine Ford as there was no alternative when I fitted mine, but, I believe pattern bars are nowavailable fromother suppliers, they come with properwiring kit usually and they have a 7 pin socket. I've had good dealings with Towsure for other vehicles, but if you need someone to fit it perhaps you should shop around as they only supply.If you have reverse sensors fitted get the bar with removable ball as this will set off the bleeper when fitted, i.e.it will onlyget in the waywhen you tow.I don't think sensors can be turned off nominally.

Good luck in your search and deploy!

Edited by: micky b-max

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
IncidentlyJohn I have just changed my B-Max again and am about to fit the towbar for the third time! I have got the time down to two and half hours!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for you very kind notes. I will go down to the ford dealer tomorrow and price up the bar. Think my new Bmax will be coming in march so getting organised before it arrives!! Thanks again, I will tell you how I get on.John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you had problems with your bmax? You read through the forum and start wondering if you have made a mistake!! I have a fiesta at present and a Fusion before, this was our car for 7 years and was excellent. I have found the fiesta to low and a little small, but an excellent car,Thanks
John

1 - 20 of 27 Posts