Ford B-Max Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi first timer owner for 3 weeks want a tow bar which is not a problem but electrics,
a dedicated electrics whatever that is about £200 or a standard £ 8 but then I am informed it has to be right otherwise warranty invalied please help ?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I see you need to have a software download from Ford otherwise your installation will not work with the installed software and of may cause problems.

I am wondering how you would get that download. If at a dealers, would you need to pay? Could you get it on a usb stick? How can you be sure afterwards all is as it should be if it is not done at a dealers. Presumable they could do a test.

I have put a 12 volt outlet in the boot but the source is the existing outlet from the rear passengers. I have also put a data lead from the dash to the boot but again, not interfered with anything installed.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Makem

go to website I mentioned in previous reply, it outlines full details of recoding etc.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Pete, I have fitted a tow bar from scratch. It was a genuine Ford one. Do not Under any circumstances fit the old school electrics. You will severely damage your car. The only electrics is the Ford approved unit or similar and you do not need to reprogram the car electrics. See my post in technical forum.Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Micky, did you need a software update from Ford please? Thinking of fitting a removable tow bar and dedicated wiring from Ford.

·
Registered
13 Posts
With CANBus electrics dedicated all the way. I used to work at an Auto Electricians and we had a steady stream of rear end rewires due to old school wiring tricks, I wouldn't take the chance. We used to consider scotchlocks very dubious.<div abp="1452">
<div abp="1453">The Westfalia book only refers to coding for the 1.0l to modify the cooling profile not specifically for the electrical changes, other engines do not require it. In theory the dedicated kit puts another Node on the CANBus so the ECU is aware of it being added. No mention in the book about trailer warning indicators (beeper or light).
<div abp="1453">
<div abp="1453">And yes, all dealers charge for non warranty workshop visits so unless you are due a favour expect a charge.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
micky b-max said:
Hi Pete, I have fitted a tow bar from scratch. It was a genuine Ford one. Do not Under any circumstances fit the old school electrics. You will severely damage your car. The only electrics is the Ford approved unit or similar and you do not need to reprogram the car electrics. See my post in technical forum.Good luck
Can you post a link to your post in technical?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts