Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody done any touring in the EU since Nov. 2015?

If so, did you use headlight beam adaptors? The Ford advice is they are not necessary but I wonder.

If stopped, how would you prove you don't?

They make such a mess of your headlights it would be great if I didn't need them this time.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi Makem. I did 2.5k miles into Southern France and touched Northern Spain last year in the BMax so I've gota bit of experience. I bought Eurolights Anti Scorch Beam Convertors. The important thing to me is that the French police coud see I had some on(why do ford say you don'tneed them) and they came off with no marks left on my headlights.As a Driver (and Instructor of many different platforms of vehicles) I wouldn't trust the advice of Ford on this occasion. The same as I took 3 breathalisers, the reason...... The french police went through a phase of stopping british drivers and making them use 1 of their 2 devices. Then strangely enough, further down the road, the police would stop you again, different officers obviously. They would ask you for your "KIT" that you have to carry, and when you wereable toprovide 1 brethaliser... They fined you on the spot and there is nothing you can do. So be aware. Any thing else you need, just ask as we are going again this year.
Just as a quick aside though. I travelled for over 6 hours at 70mph with cruise control on without stopping. It was ace!!!!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have contacted Ford again and they still stand by the, "No adjustment necessary". If I do decide not to have adaptors fitted I will take a copy of the Ford advice. It is a law which both sides must abide by and I may after contacting EuroLite too, decide to challenge.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Not sure what you need to carry in France nowadays, spare bulbs and a red triangle I know about and the breathalisers of course. Not sure if a first aid kit is mandatory, but sensible to take anyway.

Used to need yellow headlight paint, but not any more.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Now. You're in a bit of a predicament. Do you go with the advice of ford, who could be wrong, and face an on the spot fine for not having the £5 deflectors fitted. Or do you just buy them,fit them and take them off on the ferry/train on the way home? If you decide to go down n the route of not using them and get prosecuted for the offence. Good luck with blaming from for their advice. I would like to know their reason for advising you not to use them in a right side of the road driving country.
You don't however need spare bulbs although it is advisable to carry them. You do need a high visibility best withing arms reach of everyone in the vehicle. 4 passengers equals 4 vests. Hope this helps and please let me know why ford are advising against using the deflectors.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ford are advising that the design of the headlamp meets the regulations I posted and therefore do not need anything.

I would like to read the regulation but it is buried very deep.

Edited by: makem

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
This being the case, i would not adapt the headlights and take a copy of this statement with you together with a translation into French from Google Translate.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aye, I would do that except I need a sheaf of papers lol. French, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Switzerland and Italy for this year!

And I now find I need a bliddy air quality certificate which I have to buy in the UK. Maybe need one for each country

Time we left the EU, we are NOT in it or if we are i feel sorry for those drivers who have yet to be able to use computer data checks like we do.

Fancy having to stick paper on the screen. Which side to stick it, on our drivers side or their drivers side? Gets stupid imo.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Like I say, I wish you luck. If you try and save yourself a fiver, for the sake of proving the authorities wrong. However, you WILL have a very expensive journey on the way to proving them wrong, as the european police, especially the french police have this very annoying habit of issuing on the spot fines.
Can I Makem, ask why you are so against spending the £5 and sticking high quality deflectors on your headlights?
as an aside.... do you drive round the UK in a 30mph zone with just your sidlights on to prove a point?

·
Registered
510 Posts
the proper way to convert these headlights for a continental trip is to move the leaver by the headlight bulb. (yes it means remove complete headlight assembly each side, remove the covers, and moving the adjuster.

stickers may be easier.

link to bmax owner's manual, maintenance section below.
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/vdirsnet/OwnerManual/Home/Content?bookCode=O30938&languageCode=en&marketCode=GB&viewTech=IE&chapterTitleSelected=G1477763&subTitleSelected=G1624383&topicHRef=G1624384&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=True

Edited by: Gremlin

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TheInstructor said:
Like I say, I wish you luck. If you try and save yourself a fiver, for the sake of proving the authorities wrong. However, you WILL have a very expensive journey on the way to proving them wrong, as the european police, especially the french police have this very annoying habit of issuing on the spot fines.
Can I Makem, ask why you are so against spending the £5 and sticking high quality deflectors on your headlights?
as an aside.... do you drive round the UK in a 30mph zone with just your sidlights on to prove a point?

Well Sir, this thread started as a request for information. As a result of that information I expected to make a decision. I will not drive without adaptors just to prove a point. That would be stupid, which I am certainly not!
"So against spending £5": I am not, in fact I have a set of the adaptors which I keep because one time halfords had run out and I needed to make the trip the next day.

Driving on sidelights? I assume you mean 'sidelights' as in those used at night and not the always on LED lights? Why on earth would I do that at night? It is against the law so what point would I be attempting to prove?

The obvious point of the thread was to assist in deciding to be are not to be, so asked advice and I find your posts offer nothing to the thread and borders on offensive.

To continue with the decision making and ignoring above, I spoke to the suppliers of Eurolites today and he (Simon) was very helpful AND appreciative. He was unaware of the regulations change (if any) and asked that I forward the pdf from Fords. On receipt his reply email said he would chase Ford to find what Tourist Class meant and would let me know the result.

I feel and have always felt that if we speak up about inconsistencies changes can occur. Tonight I picked up a bag of green beans from among boxes of other produce, all marked at £1. The till machine wanted to charge £1.50. I complained, received the 50p and was thanked for saving ASDA,s customers more trouble. I look upon the Eurolite question in the same light.

I will let you know what I eventually decide and it will not be to prove a point, but instead, to determine a point. Then and only then will I decide what action to take.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Firstly Makem, I apologise for my posts appearing almost offensive, that is not what was meant to , I find offensivecome across.
As for my posts offering nothing, I think that is a little rude.
It appears your decision is already made. You have gone directly to Ford for information, so what I take from you asking on this forum was confirmation. And when confirmation wasn't forth coming, from someone who has experience in driving abroad, through france into both Spain and Italy on more than one occasion, you use the information you have been given to defend your decision. Which is the right thing to do and I admire that, especially if that information is correct. But and it is a big but, as you travel through a foreign country (especially France) the police there will not take an print out from anyone as evidence that you can drive through their country without headlight deflectors.
I have known many drivers fall foul of the authorities, especially in France. Which is why I refered to the breathalisers.
As you find the way I answer your post offensive I shall not respond any further, unless you direct a question directly to me.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The written word often seems offensive when it is not meant to be as the OP cant see your facial expression, tone of voice or body language. It has often happened to me.

Best to put it down to misunderstanding, i think

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gremlin said:
the proper way to convert these headlights for a continental trip is to move the leaver by the headlight bulb. (yes it means remove complete headlight assembly each side, remove the covers, and moving the adjuster.

stickers may be easier.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/vdirsnet/OwnerManual/Home/Content?bookCode=O30938&languageCode=en&marketCode=GB&viewTech=IE&chapterTitleSelected=G1477763&subTitleSelected=G1624383&topicHRef=G1624384&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=True

The manual does not apply to the equipment fitted in my car. The dealer mechanics agreed and sent an email asking Ford for an explanation. Hence the reply received from Ford.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Please let me explain once again, perhaps more clearly.

I had and still have Eurolites in my possession prior to my initial post.

I had the information from Ford some months ago.

I asked if anyone had travelled in the EU without adaptors, or an opinion about their use.

I defend my opinion.

I am still researching.

I have not yet made any decision.

I will decide when I hear back once again from a different Ford department and from the Eurolite supplier.

At the moment I am leaning towards using the adaptors because I will be carrying a Chinese National with a Belgium Schengen visa and landing in France. I am aware of the law in that respect but expect to get stopped.

I have driven in 22 countries around the world on both sides of the road and in China have driven a car and ridden an eBike with a passenger, everywhere except up walls, with and against heavy traffic flow.

·
Registered
510 Posts
makem said:
Gremlin said:

stickers may be easier.

The manual does not apply to the equipment fitted in my car. The dealer mechanics agreed and sent an email asking Ford for an explanation. Hence the reply received from Ford.
ah sorry, I didn't realise your car may have non-standard equipment, probably fitted back about 2013, when you were complaining about lights
Come to think of it, I had both of my headlights (complete) replaced
because I found a small area of white substance on the projector lens...

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gremlin said:
makem said:
ah sorry, I didn't realise your car may have non-standard equipment, probably fitted back about 2013, when you were complaining about lights
Come to think of it, I had both of my headlights (complete) replaced
because I found a small area of white substance on the projector lens...

No, this is a new 2015 vehicle, no mods or replacements.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Has anybody done any touring in the EU since Nov. 2015?

If so, did you use headlight beam adaptors? The Ford advice is they are not necessary but I wonder.

If stopped, how would you prove you don't?

They make such a mess of your headlights it would be great if I didn't need them this time.
Refering back to your initial post Makem, and I do apologise for offending you again, if this is what I do.
You have headlight deflectors but are reluctant to use them because hey make a mess..... You have an email of Ford saying you don't have to use them....
What is your actual question??? Has anyone done what you intend to do, which is drive through various European countries, been stopped by different authorities (Police, Gendarmerie, etc.) and succesfully defended themselves with the email from Ford?
I am sorry for sounding pedantic, but the more I read your responses, especially to me, I wonder what answer you were looking for. I still have a Bmax and still wish to offer advice, directly from my experiences.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Drove in two EU countries without 'stickers' following confirmation from Ford that they were now unnecessary.

Whilst waiting to board the train I looked at a large number of vehicles of a similar age to mine, some of which were Ford and all did not have 'stickers'. They all had projector type lights.

I only saw one person applying them and when I spoke to him he said as he wasn't sure he was putting them on, even though he did not have any guidance where exactly they should be put.

I have never heard back from the suppliers of the 'stickers'.

Will be driving in eight EU countries during the remainder of the year, again without the stickers.

·
Registered
242 Posts
All for the sake of not removing some sticky stuff from your headlights on the train/ferry on the way home. I hope the audience(other forum readers) make up their own minds. As it stands, my advice is..... For £4ish, buy some headlight stickers, stick them on, can't get fined from the authorities for non adherance of local driving rules.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts