Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
first car i have ever had thatdoesn'thave agauge.

I like to know when the engine has warmed up before doing 70+.

cold engine + high revs = damaged engine

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've got a brand new Fiesta as a freecourtesycar (Not contract hire!!!!) it has an almost identical instrument cluster as the B Max, apart from the colour of the digits being orange, but guess what? There is atemperaturedisplay just below the MPG!

I will be taking this up with Ford.

John.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Not much joy.. less than interested young man came back to tell me "It's not fitted on your model"I have already told him that... "We are moving away from temperaturegauges" despite the fact that I had asked for a technical reason, it was the same old patronising we know better type scenario.
Perhaps you could move this to "technical" Dan.
If I keep it outside the warranty period I'll have another look at it myself....

John.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Two methods to see temperature come to mind:

1. Android mobile phone if you happen to have one. Buy the software cheaply from Android apps and the plug-in OBDII 'reader' for about £20 from Ebay. No wires with this method which uses Bluetooth.

2. http://www.scangauge2.co.uk/product_info.php?prod=LLU-0001&name=ScanGauge-II&model=sgII

All 2008 and newer Fords use CANSF (so they say)

http://www.scangauge2.co.uk/articles.php?article=LLU_xgauge_FORD
http://www.scangauge2.co.uk/products.php?cat=5_OBDII&category=OBDII-Diagnostic&view=list

I have been trying to justify the Android method but to date have not been able to. It would be interesting to see real-time data (including temperature), but unless you have a problem it is just that, interesting but not essential.

No need to wait until after the warranty because it just plugs in and can be left in permanently. It uses the same data your garage read.

Edited by: makem

·
Registered
94 Posts
My thinking is this, that perhaps your standard instrument cluster for certain models (in this case the fiesta one looks very similar to ours) comes complete with all required indicators and readouts, maybe internals only, fitting a range of models.

The fact that the temperaturegaugeis not used in the B Max may not mean that it isn't present.
Thinking about it, perhaps with the simplified warning light only setup, the sensor in the engine coolant is only a simple switch, rather than a full sensor, which gives a varying output depending ontemperature, so perhaps the b Max is cheapskated to the simple option.

On the other hand, and most likely, the sensor is a digital device, which reports to the ECU, which in turn illuminates the over-temperature device when overheating occurs.

My service manager at my dealer owes me a favour, I will pick his brains in due course.

I may well consider purchasing a Canbus or OBD11 interface if I decide to keep the car. I had one with my VW Golf, and saved a few friends a lot of money putting out erroneous warning lights.

John.

Edited by: john51

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Yes, I was also thinking the hardware may be already in the dash.

My son-in-law works for a company who supply Fords and does dashboard electronic design. They were buying a b-max to pull it apart. I will be seeing him Saturday and will ask if they sourced a car.

He has the OBDII I mentioned and since posting I see you can buy a suitable one for under a tenner, delivered complete with PC software. The Android s/ware is £2.95. We will try his in my car on Saturday and if all is ok I will buy. I can justify a tenner or so

1 - 9 of 9 Posts