Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,I test drove a used 2013 B-Max titanium on Saturday, and noticed something on the instrument display that I couldn't see in the user manual. The picture below (which I found on the web)
illustratesit, the digits under the mileage. It looks like a temperature gauge.

My question is, is this standard display or does this only show up when there is a problem? (E.g. engine coolant is running low). When I saw it, there where also several 'hash' type objects in the space between the 'C' and 'H', perhaps showing the approximate engine temp?

Thanks,

·
Registered
315 Posts
When the engine is running the temp is indicated by four black Hash Type objects which must be between the two uprights between C and H, when the engine is first started there are none in view, then as the engine warms up they appear one by one until at full temperature there are four.

Edited by: jackkook

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now the owner of the said B-max (13 plate, Titanium, 1.0L petrol, manual), I drove home (30 mins) from the dealership and the temperature gauge didn't budge from the left hand (cold) side.

This doesn't seem normal to me. Anyone know how long it normally takes for a 1.0L petrol to get up to temperature?

·
Registered
315 Posts
It does seem a long time for it not showing any sign of heating up, it can take my 1.6tdci up to 8 miles in winter, but I think the petrol engines should be quicker than that.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have the 1.0 Ecoboost engine and the temp gauge will start showing after maybe 5 mins of driving.
Firstly check you have hot air when turning up the temp on the heater. Assuming all is o.k, there must be a fault with the gauge. Is the car still under warranty ? If so, get it checked out. If not, personally, I think i'd leave it. Many cars don't have a temp gauge. If the engine gets too hot you will have a warning lamp come on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks.

Got home and turned on the engine from cold (though ambient temperature is 30C ish). Initially there were no 'hashes' on the display, as in the picture at the top of the thread. Then, over the course of about 5 minutes (whilst I was inflating tyres) more hashes appeared, until the four closest to the 'C' were lit.

By this time I had finished the tyres so sat in the car for a few more minutes with the engine on, but no further hashes lit, just remained the four nearest the 'C'.

Is this normal behaviour? I think it might be and I've been confusing myself...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts