Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a B-Max 1 litre 120 purchased in December 2012. The stop/start system stopped working this month and I took it to the dealer who said the battery was only 75% charged hence the stop/start not working. This system doesn't work unless the battery is fully charged. What they do not tell you however, is also that if you do low mileage the system will switch itself off completely. If you have your aircon on the system will also not work. Could this be due to a low capacity battery or some other fault. I cannot be the only one having this problem - is there anyone else out there? I have been in contact with Ford who sent me to another dealer for a second opinion - they are now trying to contact my dealer without any success at present.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Welcome Dunston, but sorry about the problems you are having. I've read about the battery not being up to the job but of course it seems it has been denied. I personally do think that some of these problems are down the where it is being made and cost cutting on behalf of Ford. I got the bog standard Studio and to be honest I'm glad I did. I've had window problems and of course the wiper saga but nothing more . . . touches a large piece of wood. I hope they sort out your problem pronto!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Hi Dunston welcome to the site

You are not alone at all with this issue. There have been a few topic's raised by the club over battery suitability. For instance using heated windscreen (front and rear) was another one to be careful with, as that will also drain the battery to a point where that function becomes unavailable. It seems the brain of the car has a sort of self preservation, it seems that in these circumstances of low charge, the BMAX will deny you the use of some functions of the car, but allows you to start the car above everything else.

A Website called Honest John (which is referred to every now and then in this forum) has pointed the following :

"<strong style="color: rgb67, 67, 67; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular; font-size: 13px;">22-2-2013:[/b]Report of failure of front and rear heated screens on a number of B-Max. Seems that the battery needs to be fully charged for them to function, so if the car is repeatedly used for short runs there is not enough charge for them to work.Another theory is that the batteries were duff to start with because a lot of B-Max have been failing their PDIs for this fault.
"

As Bilbopup has said it's just cost cutting. .... after you with the WOOD Bilbopup..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your message - it looks as though the battery is not up to the job. When you consider the amount paid for the top of the rang Titanium model it would have been better with hindsight to just get the basic model. Neverthess, I will keep plugging on to Ford and my dealer.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi D-Z and all others,

Since I got my vehicle and found out through the forum that you can access when your vehicle was built and what the build includes via : FORD ETIS, this message (2U486 - BATTERY MONITORING SENSOR)
appears on my vehicle as an outstanding field action, which I understand means that when my vehicle goes for service locally they will see this on the ETIS site and have to rectify it.

I do not know what this is, but with all the issues re: battery and power could the battery monitoring sensor have anything to do with the problems we are having?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I took the car back they told me I wasn't doing enough mileage for the battery to maintain its charge so basically, like you say there is a sensor that shuts down other systems i.e aircon, stop/start, front and rear heated windows so battery can maintain enough energy for the car to be started. I think the battery should be much more powerful than it is and as I do not do a lot of mileage this is what I am hanging trying to put across to the dealer and Ford. Never had a Ford car for 16 years and already beginning to regret going back to them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I received a call from Ford today basically saying that the battery had to be fully charged before the stop/start would work. Obviously Ford just don't want to know of any faults found on this car, so it looks as though I will just have to turn the stop/start off altogether. It is 16 years since I had a Ford - I will never have another. I am writing to Auto Express now letting them know of the B-Max problems in the hope that they will get something done about it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Thats crazy Dunston,

If I had chosen and paid for the STOP/START feature on the BMAX, and then got told that I could not use the feature unless a non-suitable battery is in it's best condition 24/7, then I would put it to ford that as they have supplied a battery that is not sufficient to run all the features of the vehicle at any given time, that I would request the failing feature (stop/start) removed/disabled and the money spent on the upgrade refunded OR they replace the battery with one that can handle the job at no expense to me.

I wonder how citizens advise would see this issue.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Agree with D-Z, I'd be hopping mad
sounds like case of mis-selling, unless of course the salesman explained in no uncertain terms when the Stop/Start would and wouldn't work. . . . . . just seen a pink pig flying past the window

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Ford advertise and shout about the fact that this car has the latest stop-start technology and that is a major reason for buying it.

If it does not work for you then I would suggest contacting:

http://www.motorcodes.co.uk/

However, I think you would need to bear in mind that if you leave the car unused for a long period as I do when I go away for a month or so, you need to make arrangements to look after the battery. I always disconnected the battery on previous cars but not sure if you could do that with this car as it has so much electronic technology. I have also had a relative take the car for a day or two a month.

Because it has so much electronic technology then it is always going to be draining the battery and that will affect stop-start if for an extended period of maybe even a week until the battery is brought back up to a reasonable level of charge. Perhaps you would need to use the car at least once a week? I don't think it needs to be fully charged because if that was so, then you can expect your stop-start to stop working when the battery ages as it's capacity to hold the original charge will deteriorate?

In my case I regard the stop-start as a bonus and if it works, it works, if not the I don't worry. However, I do use the car more than once per week so it is probably working as it should.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for your reply. I will write to Ford as suggested and see what they say.I subscribe to Auto Express and have sent them an email on the subject - see what happens. I am taking the car in for the windscreen wipers to be adjusted and will also mention it to them.[

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Dunston said:
Thanks for your reply. I will write to Ford as suggested and see what they say.I subscribe to Auto Express and have sent them an email on the subject - see what happens. I am taking the car in for the windscreen wipers to be adjusted and will also mention it to them.[
I suggested Motorcodes, not Ford as a place to complain. Motorcodes will take up your complaint with Ford on your behalf if they think it is justified and you are able to suggest a solution.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It is't good eough for Ford to say the car must be used for more than short journies. If you buy the stop/start option then you should expect it to work. If it fails to work for a reason that the manufacturer is aware of, you must be told. If you are kept in the dark and have problems with either this known problem or that known problem, you should tell Ford and your dealer that your vehicle as sold is "NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE" under the terms of the Sale of Goods Act. I had a beautiful BMAX which I thought was the best designed vehicle for access from a wheelchair. The SYNC system also was of great use to me as a disabled driver. Unfortunately, due to many electrical faults, I quoted the above and have returned the BMAX and opted for a more reliable marque (despite being a satisfied Ford customer for 15 years).

I hope you get some satisfaction from the BMAX and that Ford or your dealer will fix the problem or refund your money. Do seek advice from CAB.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have contacted Auto Express who have now come on board. When and if I hear anything further I will let everyone know. In the meantime the Deputy Editior has gotten a B-Max to evaluate and updates will be posted in the magazine every few weeks which should be of interest to members. If anyone else has any problems can I suggest you put them to Auto Express as well and we will see what happens.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I too have had issues with stop/start, I use my car daily to and from work round trip
of about 14 miles plus usual weekend driving to shops
etc.

The stop/start has been working fine until recently and it is annoying because it is one of the reasons I

bought
the Titanium. Anyway just received a recall letter from Ford ref the Auxilliary
heater cables and

have
booked in for next week to get it sorted, at the same time they can have a look at the stop/start

problem
. If they fob me off with battery issues then I will be contacting the MD direct!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did anyone see my article in Auto Express last week? Nothing really forthcoming but was given a few more details of why the system doesn't work i.e. too hot, too cold, air con on, heated front and rear screen on, don't do enough miles, front seat belts not engaged. Think maybe Auto Express are not on the side of the motorist. Maybe Ford should take the system off the car altogether. I use my car every day and do about 100 plus miles a week. Surely to goodness in this day and age this is sufficient to keep the battery charged. Am still pressing on however.

Took car in for its recall today and asked if they would adjust the wipers at the same time. Told this was not necessary, there was nothing wrong with them. I will take my car to another dealer as this one sucks. No-one wants to give any assistance so am now going to try Motor Codes and see what happens with them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Dunston

Useful information thanks....
what we need is a concerted effort from all of us to lobby Ford into sorting out this unacceptable situation. If you pay for a service you expect it to be available and working, stop/start obviously has a problem........please fix it Ford

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Faxed a letter to Ford Motor Co. this morning and got a call from them this afternoon. Still the same old tune, that I don't do enough mileage. This is a real fob off considering I use the car every day and clock up over 100 miles a week. I took the battery for an independent test which revealed that the battery was 100% but it only had a 66% charge which in his opinion meant that all systems should work satisfactorily. Ford recommend a third opinion from another Ford dealer, as I have rejected Jennings Ford at Gateshead as they just don't want to know. Will make an appointment with another dealer tomorrow and see what happens from there. We are going round in circles at present and I think Ford hope I will just pack in and accept things - wrong.

1 - 20 of 197 Posts