Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought a 1.0 (123) B-Max ten days ago and after two days the Start/Stop ceased working. So I Googled 'Ford Start/Stop problems' and found that this was a fairly common problem on Ford cars which was also confirmed by a neighbour.I reasoned that this must arise through battery condition as the handbook warns on fitting the correct battery etc. So I turned off all the accessories eg aircon, radio etc went for a 15 mile quick trip to put some juice in the battery and as soon as I arrived home Start/Stop was working again.
I phoned the Dealers and the Service Dept confirmed that short journeys and using aircon etc would switch off Start/Stop until the battery was fully charged. So anyone else with this problem may wish to try the above. I expect that as the battery ages Stop/Start will cease working. The Dealers were very willing to check everything over for me but this appears to be a design problem....the battery should have been bigger (more juice!)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Welcome here Jo.

Stop start is very much dependant on the battery voltage, and unless sufficient mileage is done any battery will eventually lose power.

Depending on what is switched on I worked out that the battery needs to supply about 19-20 amps when the engine is off, that's a lot of power and then there is the power to restart the engine.

My stop start works most of the time but sometimes the engine will restart or not switch off at night when the lights etc are on. I would rather it do that than have a flat battery and the engine not start!

If short runs mean the battery is not getting enough charge a small trickle charger might be useful?

I have to say I sometimes find the stop start annoying and turn it off.

Geoff

·
Registered
418 Posts
Easiest solution, use the manual starter. That way you can over ride when you anticipate that your stop will only be a matter of seconds.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi steamer and halli,

This problem is well documented on this forum and there is a software up date to solve it.

I and a few others that I am aware of have had the up date and although you are right in someway re the batterycharge you do not have to run the car for miles to get sufficient power to make the Stop/Start work effectively. The up date will allow the function to work correctly with almost everything on your car turned on ( lights/heater/fan/wipers heated rear screen etc. etc. )

The only exception I have found is that the Stop/Startwill notwork ifyou put the heatedfront windscreen on.

Pop to your dealer and query it with them. If your dealer needs info to check what the up date is I can send you my car details via a personal message on here and the dealer can check what the up date is on their system..

·
Registered
418 Posts
Stop / start is still not worth the fuss and bother of having your car meddled with. Extra work on the starter motor and battery, and no saving on duel.

·
Registered
251 Posts
That may be, but have you thought that people with the function may want it to work correctly.

Some people pay around £400 as an extrafor this and I do not think anybody would be happy if they spent that amount of money and the thing didn't work.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I agree with you, it seems rather stupid to spend £400 and then accept it doesn't work and walk away!!!!!!

·
Registered
418 Posts
May be, but people ought to realise they are throwing their money away by getting extras such as stop / start, auto lights / auto wipers / and a host of other add ons that sometimes work, and more often than not do not. I had stop / start on my previous three cars, and it never worked 100 % efficiently. On my BMax the auto wipers often have to be induced to clear the screen; and should the car be left out in winter and not cancelled prior to closing for the night, the rubbers could be shredded after a frost. Auto lights are pointless. Make the decision NOT to have these extras before you purchase.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can't disagree more on JohnWales. I'm driving luxury cars for years, with everything automatic like wipers, climate control, lights and now also stop/start. Ofcourse in the end it's always the drivers responsibility, but I experience major comfort from these options. I do tend to switch on the light manually, earlier than the automatics do, but with the automatic I can never forget them, just in case. It's (or should be) a known fact that you have to turn of automatic wipers when there is no rain, or during the periods of frost, however when frozen solid, there is a perfect protection mechanism is place so that your wipers and or motor will not be ruined. Stop/start is new to me but also with my B-max it doesn't function 100%, but the dealer promised to have this solved.

I enjoy all the extra's of my fully equipped Ford, and also from my previous fully equipped Fords everyday, but keep in mind that these systems are there to help you, not to replace you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have had no issues with the stop start in either my old mk7.5 fiesta or the b max what i have had 2 weeks. Do you have the auto clim control? I found that when i was test driving a fiesta with the normal temp dials that the stop start didnt work too well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts