Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 B-Max.
Volume controls on steering wheel don't always work, especially the decrease volume one.
If I slap the steering wheel on that spoke they often start to work.
Any ideas how to fix?
Does front of steering wheel need to come off - wary with the air bag....

Thanks

·
Registered
268 Posts
If it works after you hit it then i would say it probably is a fault with the buttons.
Don't know if they can be replaced or if it means the full steering wheel replacement.
As for the air bag, if you need to go that far then disconnect the battery and leave alone for at least ten minutes. It should then be safe to remove it. I did a similar job on my last car ( replaced the clock spring ) and all went ok. Remember to store the airbag with the side that has the ford badge facing up, then if it does accidentally deploy, it rarely happens, it will stay on the ground and not get launched.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it works after you hit it then i would say it probably is a fault with the buttons.
Don't know if they can be replaced or if it means the full steering wheel replacement.
As for the air bag, if you need to go that far then disconnect the battery and leave alone for at least ten minutes. It should then be safe to remove it. I did a similar job on my last car ( replaced the clock spring ) and all went ok. Remember to store the airbag with the side that has the ford badge facing up, then if it does accidentally deploy, it rarely happens, it will stay on the ground and not get launched.
Thanks for that.

Previous car ( Subaru ) had failing volume buttons ( not as bad as this! ) on steering wheel and the dealer changed the button assay for new one - that had steering wheel air bag too, so I guess the assembly for the volume phone etc. buttons on wheel can be changed on the B-Max. Just getting the silver cover off and maybe airbag!

If it's a full wheel, would get one with the cruise control in too, or just ignore the problem and use the radio knob!

JAB

·
Registered
268 Posts
I think the wheel will have to come off as the buttons are probably secured from the back of the wheel.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
A 2018 B Max should still be under warranty but since Ford stopped producing them in 2017, that's unlikely.

If I had a problem with steering wheel volume buttons out of warranty, I would probably just live with it and use the volume knob on the radio unit.

·
Registered
268 Posts
@ Jab
If you still have the issue this video will help.
It's showing a Ford Fiesta but it's basically the same car, hope it helps.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u4Oi1OIki8[/ame]

·
Registered
1 Posts
2018 B-Max.
Volume controls on steering wheel don't always work, especially the decrease volume one.
If I slap the steering wheel on that spoke they often start to work.
Any ideas how to fix?
Does front of steering wheel need to come off - wary with the air bag....

Thanks
I know this is old but maybe still helpful to someone.
I had the same problem. Eventually fixed it myself by simply unplugging the wiring harness behind the wheel that connects to the volume controls and plugging it back in several times. I guess the contacts were a bit oxidized. It's worked well ever since.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts