Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody ever had problems with their car failing to start? I have a 64 plate 1.6 diesel bmax. Recently when getting into the car I try and start the car as usual pushing down on the clutch and turning the key and I am getting no response at all. I can try a few times with nothing then it'll start after a few minutes wait. I can drive quite a distance then stop and try and start and then it won't work again sometimes I can wait and it starts and sometimes it needs bumped. I'm unfortunately on nights so cannot take it to the garage and don't want to phone ford assistance as it will likely work when they come out.

I'm unsure if it's the cold weather as has just been a recent thing. It doesn't appear to be my battery as all electronics come on no problem.

On further inspection it seems the key isn't fully turning within the ignition as if it is getting stuck moving the steering wheel around a bit which feels quite stiff is then helping it turn fully and start. Edited by: Shamish

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
My starting point with diesels that won't start is the glow plugs.

Is the engine turning over or does it appear like the battery is dead?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hywel S Wales said:
Sounds like it's just the steering lock. Lots of cars you have to wiggle the steering wheel a bit on turning the key.
Thanks it's definitely this. Though wiggling the steering wheel is becoming worse to get it to unlock. Is this likely to be something needing fixed? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
maybe the steering lock was tight. all cars need to have the steering wiggled to turn the key if it's engaged.

I'm sure a tank of fuel would have no affect.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.