Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BMax 999cc 3cyl petrol version 2014
Hi I have an intermittent starting problem. Usually no problem starting, both battery and starter motor both work fine. Occasionally, I go to the car and turn the key, ignitionlights come on as usual but starter does not operate. Sometimes wiggling the steering wheel will solve the problem, sometimes moving through the gearbox will solve the problem. failing that a bump start will always get it going. If I then turn it off and turn it back on it will work with no problem. I do not think it is a battery problem because it is intermittent and usually works fine. If it was a weak battery cell then the symptoms would be more consistent. I do not think it is a starter motor problem either as I would expect to see a more consistent rather than occasional faultbut I suppose it could be thesolenoid? I am inclined to think it is an electrical or sensor problem such as the clutch sensor, but as this is the first car I have had where you have to depress the clutch to start the car I have no experience of this. Has anyone else had a similar difficulty? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I suppose the battery would be my first thought too. Is it worth doing a voltage check on the battery?

I have read of a few issues relating to the battery discharging on the b max, especially those with stop start, heated seats, heated windscreen, aircon, etc.

A quick voltage check wont be costly unless you use a main dealer. Halfords might do.Edited by: cianpars

·
Registered
164 Posts
It could be a number of things, starter solenoid, starter brushes, clutch switch, starter relay. I'd take it to a Auto Electrician or Main Dealer, or at the very least a good Indy garage. There is no way to simply diagnose the problem. Don't take it to Halfords!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.