Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 2013 1.6 Zetec Automatic. Recently I was parked in a muddy field in a caravan park and would have appreciated being able to start in 2nd gear. I thought that by selecting S I would be able to engage 2nd by using the toggle switch but it refused to budge from 1st. I then tried D and the toggle switch just in case, but no joy there either. Have I missed something, or is it not possible to start in 2nd with this model? Thanks for any interest

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Not sure about that Nick. It should, but the traction control in my fiesta was perfect, i didnt have wheelspin once in 5 years of driving it and after 20k miles, there is still plenty of tread on the tyres.

In the B Max, ive spun the front wheels a couple of times already despite exactly the same driving style.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From the answers received I'm assuming that I'm not doing anything wrong then, i.e. it isn't possible to engage 2nd gear when starting on my model (Zetec 1.6 2013). As it happens, whereas with the Fusion I managed to tear up the grass rather badly even when engaging 2nd gear, with the B-Max I was able to negotiate the slippery surface with only the hint of a spin. I don't know what ESP is, but maybe Nick has something in his claim that traction control should have a positive effect.

Anyway, thanks to both Nick and cianpars

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Electronic stability control (ESC), also referred to as electronic stability program (ESP) or dynamic stability control (DSC), is a computerized technology[1][2] that improves a vehicle's stability by detecting and reducing loss of traction (skidding).[3] When ESC detects loss of steering control, it automatically applies the brakes to help "steer" the vehicle where the driver intends to go. Braking is automatically applied to wheels individually, such as the outer front wheel to counter oversteer or the inner rear wheel to counter understeer. Some ESC systems also reduce engine power until control is regained. ESC does not improve a vehicle's cornering performance; instead, it helps to minimize the loss of control. According to Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, one-third of fatal accidents could be prevented by the use of the technology.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for taking the time to explain, cianpars. It may appear as if I'm too lazy to look it up for myself but I'm in an area of such poor signal at the moment it's like watching paint dry to get a response. Thanks again, best wishes.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
No probs Stu, just a cut and paste from Wiki.

My kids have just bought me a track day in a Fiesta S model, so I will soon find out how good the ESP is when I dont lift off for the bends. I really dont think it is possible to spin with the esp on, ive never felt uncomfortable how ever fast i go into the bends on the road, but the track will really be a great test.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.