Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

My Stability Control Indicator comes on when I insert the ignition key but shows as Off. Is this normal? As soon as I start up it goes out. Stability Control is checked under Vehicle Settings, so don't know if it's on or off, very confusing display to a newbee like me. There is also another similar indicator at the top of the display; no idea what this, as it's not in the manual. It looks like a vehicle with skid marks behind it.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
it comes on when you turn on the ignition and goes out when you start the engine. If it stays on or comes on when driving it indicates a malfunction.

It is indeed a car with skid marks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply cianpars. My query is, when the ignition is turned on the Stability Control light shows "Off." I would have thought it would make more sense to show "On" to confirm the system is engaged, rather than "Off," then go out when the engine is running.

The light does go out when the engine is running by the way.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Just checked mine for you. The light glows orange when ignition is switched on, then goes out.

On my old Fiesta, I can recall the light coming on white on a coyple of occasions whilst driving, then went out. I'm not sure what that was all about, but the stability control worked perfectly. Never had any wheelspin.

Interestingly, I have to be sareful not to spin the wheels on the b max when pulling away - possibly because of the increased torque, but maybe due to there being less engine weight over the front axle.

·
Registered
273 Posts
cianpars said:
Just checked mine for you. The light glows orange when ignition is switched on, then goes out.

On my old Fiesta, I can recall the light coming on white on a coyple of occasions whilst driving, then went out. I'm not sure what that was all about, but the stability control worked perfectly. Never had any wheelspin.

Interestingly, I have to be sareful not to spin the wheels on the b max when pulling away - possibly because of the increased torque, but maybe due to there being less engine weight over the front axle.

Or, maybe, heavy boots

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I dont drive it any different to the Fiesta though. Sometimes you have to pull out of a aide turning very quickly onto the busy roads round here and spin can sometimes occur, especially if the junction faces up hill, has a gravel surface or is greasy.

Didnt apin the Fiesta fronts once in over 5 years.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Of course someone commented adequate: "With both driver & passenger on the same side of the car, of course it's
going to be unstable!" (But it isn't! :> ) "It's not the high centre of gravity that's the
problem, but the difference of 150Kg or so more on right hand side of
car!"

·
Registered
212 Posts
I apologize for being offtopic! :">
What I wanted to say is that (it seems) is worth having this ESC; it's quite effective! :>

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I guess I'm no further forward really with my ambiguous "Off" stability control light. Next time I visit my Ford dealer I will ask the question. A light that clearly show Off when ignition key is inserted, to me rings alarm bells. Surely when the ignition key is inserted the light should clearly indicate ON to assure the driver stability control is active and not OFF for goodness sake.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi,
I got interested in this and for the first time looked very carefully at what happens with the ignition turning on. What I found surprised me.
I spotted 2 Stability Control warning lights, one at the top of the right-hand dial and one at the bottom. Both illuminate and then go out along with all the others. The one at the top is a normal warning light, BUT the one at the bottom does have 'OFF' underneath it.

Following this up I went to the MENU and went 'Vehicle Settings>Traction Control' which is ticked as though activated. Due to management pressure, (we were going to do the weekly shop) I had no time to investigate further. However it does confirm that the OP may well have a warning light which does what they indicated, so warrants further snooping into it.

Cheers,
Geri

Edited by: Geriatricus

·
Registered
712 Posts
Thanks for that info. Geri.

Just checked mine, and yes, same as yours (and Willow) 2 lights, with one showing OFF. Shows as ON in the menu system though ! I'll ask someone in the dealers about it when I go in next. Unless someone else can get an explanation first.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. I am off to my Ford dealer tomorrow (different issue) so will ask the question. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi,
Done some more testing and read the manual. I believe the system works like this.

When ignition is turned on, both top and bottom Traction Control indicatiors light up and then go out.
If, with ignition on, you then go to the Traction Control in the Menu and uncheck it, the lower (OFF) indicator lights up. This stays on until you turn Traction Control back on, or turn the ignition off.
The default on turning on the ignition is that Traction Control is ON, and it will use this default no matter what the previous setting was before the ignition was turned off.

The upper indicator lights when the traction control is actually activating itself; there are a few options for it including flashing and continuously on, but basically this is the warning light for activation and the lower is the warning for the system being turned off- hence the OFF underneath.

Cheers,
Geri

·
Registered
54 Posts
The "standard operating procedure" for all cars is set to activate briefly all available lamps/indicators on the dashboard when the ignition is turned on. That way you can check that all indicators are actually working. This is also done to prevent possible manipulation (example: dishonest previous owner may remove the indicator lamp for ABS and sell the car like this to avoid expensive repair...)

So, the reason that "ESP OFF" will lit for the moment is simply because it is there :)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I believe that the bottom light indicates off, then goes out as it sets itself. the top light indicates a malfunction if it stays on.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, spoke to Ford mechanic today.His resonse and I quote 'it is misleading, it's back to front but rest assured you need only be concerned if the light comes on whilst driving,' So there you have it, Ford do things back to front
love 'em!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
In a nutshell, that's what i was trying to say.

As an aside, the light came on twice whilst i was driving my fiesta in 5 years. Went out again after a few minutes on both occasions and i never found out why. The stability of the car was unaffected and was always great.

On the first occasion, it was after i drove through a muddy field and the second was in very heavy rain driving through country lanes. Not sure whether it was anything to do with that.

I may turn mine off as an experiment to see how it feels. Driving carefully of course.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.