Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's a special 14mm longsocket. I've looked online for a tool for the ecoboost 1.0 engine without joy.
Anyone know where I can buy one?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I suppose that if you cannot find one on line, you will either have to order one from Ford or see if you can find something else that will do the job.

Ive sometimes had to cobble together tools by making my own extensions for tools I have out of what ever is in my toolbox or socket box, even made extensions out of old bits of pipe and mole grips on occasions. Sometimrs requires a bit of lateral thinking.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a lot of words for something incapable of providing a positive answer!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hywel,
Wish it was that simple. I removed one of the coil tops and there is no room for a standard wall socket, it must be thin wall. Looking at the plug itself, it's a bi-hex.
think I'm going to go to a motor factors to ensure I get the right tool.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
pegleg said:
That's a lot of words for something incapable of providing a positive answer!
Well im just telling you what i do, i.e. try to apply some logic to the situation. Look at the problem and see what you can get that might fit, even if it needs to be adalted, I have even drilled holes in sockets and used a piece of metal as a tommy bar or gripped a tool with a mole grip where necessary.

Rather than knock it, it would have been enough to say thanks, but that didnt work.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Just had a thought, would a plumbers tap wrench fit? I have a set of these at all different sizes, though have only used 2 or 3 as tap nuts are fairly standard. I will see if I can find a link.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Alternatively, take a spark plug to your local tool dealers and explain your problem and ask if they can suggest anything.

I do have a spark plug socket in my socket set, but that would probably be too thick from what you are saying.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Changed my spark plugs today. (1.0 Ecoboost)Best price I could find was all three for £25. Some places wanted over 40 quid!The tool I used was a 14mm thin wall bi hex with a 3/8's drive, Laser part number 4376. It's a proper spark plug tool with a spring insert to hold the plug. Cost 7 quidfrom localauto factors.
You then need a long extension, I don't have a long 3/8 but a do have a 3/8 to 1/2 conversion socket and a long 1/2 extension which worked fine.
Bit of copper slip on the new plug threads; be warned you cannot start these plugs in the thread by hand, so I used the spark plug tool attached to a long flexible to gently start the threadby hand and then tighten with a solid extension.
To remove the coil tops and refit the plugs took about 20 mins.

Edited by: pegleg

·
Registered
12 Posts
It is a special, thin socket, and plenty on E-Bay to pick at. Usually 3/8 drive. Plugs go in on a slant and I always use a piece of rubber hose to extract them and put them back in. Quite easy job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts