Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! , has anybody changed the plugs on a standard 998cc 92kw engine, ?, it's a 2014 version, and if possible what plugs have they found best . Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I can only assume that you have Ecoboost engine.
I've replaced my plugs twice; on both occasions I've used genuine Ford parts but i'm pretty sure that they are manufactured by NGK. I don't think there is any other manufacturer of this plug. I did not buy them from a Ford dealer though, far too expensive!!
You'll need a 14mm double hex socket with an extension to remove the plugs once you have removed the coil top. Don't forget to use anti seize copper slip on the threads of the new plugs, this engine gets very hot so it will help removal next time. I also use a flexible drive to fit new plugs by hand to start the threads before tightening, cross threading could be a nightmare.
Simple job though, I change my plugs every 20k miles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your answer Pegleg, the engine is indeed a ecoboost, the 92Kw quoted in the logbook, equates to 124Bhp, and has only done 11Kmiles, but the mpg seems low. Can you remember the gap of the plug point, or did you fit as bought.?
There seems little info on the engine in the handbook.

·
Registered
311 Posts
You shouldn't need to change you plugs so ften, unless the engine is running rough.
There's no great advantage in doing it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I agree. Plugs should be fine after just 11k's. If you drive the engine hard, the turbo will play havoc with fuel consumption. Only a very gentle right foot and careful use of the gearbox will improve fuel consumption.
In any event, once you've found out the cost of new plugs...……………...

·
Registered
311 Posts
I remember when you could get a set of plugs for £1. When I had an Austin A40 I used to change them every year.
On a lot of cars nowadays, it's only part of the 60,000 mile service.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts