Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
hi maddog..i have a fifteen inch space saver... the tyres on car are 195/60r15 .if yours are the same or sixteen inch then the wheel will be ok....its down to the rolling radius.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
excellent thanks mine are 15 like yours

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,I am so glad I found this forum!
I am a fairly new B max owner and I am planning a trip to Europe this winter. Obviously my car did not come with a spare tyre. I am not keen in being speed limited by a space saver spare tyre when I am on a tour and I have a certain mileage to cover each day.

My questions is: is there any reason why I should not be able to create a spare tyre by buying a 16"steel wheel and use on of my old but in great condition 16" tyre? obviously my local ford dealer insists in me buying the whole spare tyre kit from them and says the 16" would not fit in the space.
I find that unbelievable since i did put one of the old 16" tyres ( only tyre , no wheel) in there and it did fit.
I would very much appreciate your input on this!

Cheers!

·
Registered
64 Posts
No reason why you can't fit a full size steel wheel if, as you say ,your tyre already fits. Obviously it will be sit higher in the boot than the mini spare but this would not be a problem in a Bmax.The thing you should be mindful of is the tread type, profile and speed rating of the spare is the same as the other tyres you have fitted if you want it to be fully interchangeable, as mentioned in your post. Furthermore, if you have alloy wheels fitted you may need to have a spare set of wheel nuts specifically for a steel wheel as sometimes they are different. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yes it is OK, the space saver spare wheels are smaller.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you ! Very much appreciated!I am not very technical, I am more of a get in a drive kind of girl, but I love my Bmax and I want to make sure we have a great trip.
Obviously we have alloys on but I find that for a spare its a waste of money.
I have no idea what tread type, profile and speed rating my current wheels are. How would I find that out?

TIA

·
Registered
264 Posts
Plenty of full size wheel + tyre available on Ebay for around £50.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Tyre types are listed in the handbook if you have one. The information is also on the side of the tyre itself. For example, 195/60 R15 load 88 and speed rating H are the details for the tyre profile and radius for a 2014 1.4 Zetec. Somewhere also on the side of the tyre will be information referring to the speed and load ratings. Without being disrespectful, as you have said you are not technically minded, it might be worth going to a tyre dealer for
advice as it is so important.
Edited by: Skelly

·
Registered
238 Posts
Skelly said:
Furthermore, if you have alloy wheels fitted you may need to have a spare set of wheel nuts specifically for a steel wheel as sometimes they are different. Hope this helps.
This car is the First time I have Alloys fitted - Only because I could not get the motor without them.

So a beginner's question, Do the B-Max bolts fit both the Alloys and the Skinny spare, or should there be a set spreifically for the spare, which is a pressed steel?

Geri

·
Registered
51 Posts
hi all.i work in the tyre trade..the wheel nuts fitted to the car will fit both the alloys and the steel space saver
hope this helps..

·
Registered
64 Posts
I read somewhere that the alloy wheel nuts can be used on the space saver for a maximum of 2 weeks. However, I'm pretty sure that the full size steel wheel uses different wheel nuts than those for alloy wheels. Happy to be corrected if this is wrong.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts