Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Less than 2 year old car never driven on roads newly chipped, never had a stone thrown up.

Come back from week long drive in quite hot weather, car and screen covered in insects.

Car goes in for hand was hand comes out with literally hundreds of tiny scratches which stand out when the sun strikes obliquely. Not caused by hand wash as they are all lined up from bottom of screen towards top.

Have the insects developed armour plated bodies or are Ford using softer screens?

I never had this problem with my previous B-MAX driven in similar circumstances for 3 years.

Anybody else noticed this?

·
Registered
238 Posts
One possibility, if they are all parallel, is the heated front screen elements as mine sometimes catch the light and scare the bejasus ouit of me.

Geri

·
Registered
64 Posts
Geriatricus said:
One possibility, if they are all parallel, is the heated front screen elements as mine sometimes catch the light and scare the bejasus ouit of me.

Geri
I'm inclined to agree with you Geri. Sounds like sun reflecting off the heated windscreen elements.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, it cannot be that. Each one can be felt by using a finger nail across it. Each one is very short in length. They are without doubt scratches of short length aligned in the same direction and spaced out as you would expect insects which have been flattened by 70 mph plus whatever wind speed. Some have and area around them which the hand cleaning has not totally cleaned of and is typical of insect remains.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Strange, I haven't had a windscreen chip in over 150,000 miles. Now ive probably tempted fate, haven't I.

Only replaced one windscreen in over 40 years of motoring and probably 750,000 miles and that was a toughened glass one anout 30 years ago.

Clearly the faster you drive, the ore likely you are to get chips, but sometimes its just bad luck.

I do get a few stonechips on the front of the bonnet and around the radiator grill from time to time.

Your scratches seem quite strange as in my experience, windscreens are pretty resilient to scratching.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I testify that both the panoramic roof and the windshield got some scratches and a tiny crater after I placed a toy tent and a plastic toy scooter over it attempting to protect as much surface as I could of my B-MAX, from sun rays.
Somehow a breeze or two managed to throw both "protections" to the ground and after a month or so I discovered the minor damage while washing the car by hand.
I asked the dealer for the price I will pay in case I decide to replace both of them plus the antenna, because this one too got broken... Better I'll keep the money for another B-MAX. :>
All I want to say is that my grand parents' Dacia 1300 (Renault 12) I used to wash during my childhoid (more than 35 years ago) had a way more resistant windscreen!.. Edited by: vdragoslav

1 - 8 of 8 Posts