1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi newbie here from Essex
Just mot'd my bmax for first time.
Failed onfront shock absorber and advisory on rear
Ever had to replace shock absorber on any car before and am astonished to find 2 on so new a car
Withonly 25000 on clock
tried to talk to ford directly to see if they had any info but just received a stonewall silence
Has any one else any experience?
Stevem

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Our Focus went through a lot of springs but not shocks. The garage blamed the potholes and speed bumps.

Make sure you don't bump up any kerbs too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, we have had the same problem. Car went for it's first MOT after 3 years and failed on shock absorber on driver front side. The mechanic said this was highly unusual as the car was so new. I have had to fork out a fortune replacing both shock absorbers on the front to ensure even braking and the car is now out of warrentee so can't go back to Ford.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I dont usually keep cars much more than 20k so have never had suspensiion problems, but your mileage is rather low to be getting them. Yes, potholes and speedbumps are damaging, but its unusual for them to fail before 50k unless you carry heavy loads.

My guess is that your MOT tester is out to make money. You can feel when the shocks have gone without an MOT tester telling you.

·
Registered
459 Posts
cianpars said:
My guess is that your MOT tester is out to make money. You can feel when the shocks have gone without an MOT tester telling you.
I disagree, for instance if there is evidence of it leaking, thats a likely mot fail. even if not yet apparent to the driver in normal use.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Always a good idea to have your first MOT a little before the 3 yrs is up so if it fails on a warrantied part, you're still covered, although
i don't think a worn shock absorber would be covered anyway. Probably a wear and tear item.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I would be very disappointed if a 3 yr warranty did not include shock absorber failure unless it was clear that the vehicle had been used abnormally or mileage was unusually high.

Products must be fit for purpose under uk and european law. Whilst the likes of brake pads, filters, tyres, etc are expendables, it would be a shock if the suspension was not covered.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Trouble is it will be impossible to argue with Ford that it's a design defect and not something caused during normal wear and tear. I agree that spring issues are common but not so much shocks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts