Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it me!

I have noticed, especially when it's raining that my brakes are very sharp. There is little feel; they're either on or off. There is a bit of slack at the top of the travel before they bite and stand the car on its nose (slight exaggeration, but you get my drift).

Anyone with a similar issue, do I need to get them adjusted, or is this normal?

I would just mention this is the first vehicle I have driven with ABS, would that be a contributing factor?Edited by: Willow

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The brakes do feel a little sharp at first when wet, but ok after a couple of applications. I think the lightweight 1.0 engine makes the front end feel light and makes the brakes feel a lirtle sharp too at times. Not that bad though.

I have driven many cars with ABS and this system does not cause brakes to feel sharp at all.

How mny miles on the clock? It can sometimes be caused by contamination on the linings, e.g. brake fluid or simply that the pads/disks are about ready to replace.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I replaced my discs and pads earlier this year and they are quite large for such a small vehicle. This is why the brakes are sharp, but you soon get used to it.ABS wont cause this at all; when ABS is active you will feel a pulsating action of the brake pedal through your foot which onlyhappens under severe braking.
Don't worry, your brakes are behaving as they should, any contamination as mentioned would greatly reduce brake efficiency anyway.
How have you managed to stay away from non ABS cars as ABS has been around in the UK for around 30 years?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi cianpars and pegleg

Thanks for your replies. The vehile has covered 25000 miles. There is a slight shoulder on the outside of the disks but not that bad to start thinking about a change.

Yes, this is the first car I have owned with ABS; not by choice I may add. But as you say, this should not effect the perfomance of the brakes. I can't fault the brakes, just getting used to them I guess.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
At 25k, possibly new pads neededsoon, but this is always picked up during a service or MOT if necessary. They always suggest replacing them with a few thousand miles to spare.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
As i understand it, if you brake heavily, it applies extra braking for you. I think it also works together with the automatic stability control.

If braking then gets applied too heavily so a wheel locks, then the abs kicks in.

·
Registered
315 Posts
There is a system on cars which senses if the driver is "panic braking", and applies more effort if necessary, I do not know if any Ford cars have it.

Edited by: jackkook

·
Registered
164 Posts
I really don't where to begin without upsetting anyone.So here goes.
There is no such thing as 'brake assist' setting 'on or off'on any vehicle anywhere in the World. You can on some vehicles select ESP on or off.
Brake Force Distribution however, which I think maybe referred to in this thread, is somewhat old hat.
This is where each wheel using the ABS sensors , can apply the brakes individually to each wheel to provide the optimum force to eachindividualwheel cylinder. And it's there all the time.
This is nothing new.
Unless you have proper knowledge to help someone on this forum, or indeed any forum, please stay away from self opinions, rubbish on Utube or a lot of shyte on the Tinternet.
We all try to help each other, but a little knowledge is verydangerous.
I read something on here the other day about stop/start, inlet valves and Ford engine test beds.
Never read so much rubbish, engine test beds push way beyond any normal day to day use.
Please keep things factual and not fiction folks.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Thanks Pegleg, your contribution is welcome, but please do not take us all so seriously, It is just a light hearted discussion among friends, I know from being admin on other groups that things can quickly get out of hand with slanging matches, ending up with some people who have been contributing to a group no longer willing to post anything.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Me too!!!Jackkook, think I understand your drift. I took it as read. To be forewarned is to be .....

Edited by: pegleg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.