Ford B-Max Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.6 B Max Diesel....... The handbook could be a little more explanatory, it states that the service should be at intervals of 12 months or 12,500 miles. As it does not state ' whichever comes first ' what is the opinion on driving 14, 000 miles before arranging a service, if it does not go beyond the 12 month anniversary. My mileage is currently 9200, and by the end of the month no more than 9,500. However, from July 6th I will be embarking on a colossal journey going via Folkestone, Luxembourg, Bavaria, Le Havre and back to North Wales. By the time I am home late July I cannot see the mileage being any lower than 14,000; my annual service date would be scheduled for 8th. September.Seems a bit silly having a service 3000 miles and nearly three months ahead of schedule.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Does it really need to say whichever comes first?

If it has reached 12 months and it has not been serviced then it should be.

If it has done 12500 miles then it should be serviced.

You just need to see which applies. One is a time check, the other is a mileage check and it is unlikely they will come at the same time so one or the other will come first.

I am aware literature usually says, "Whichever comes first", but that is unnecessary in my opinion.

If you go over a service schedule time/mileage I think there are consequences.

If I was going on a long trip especially out of the UK I would err on the side of caution and have a service done even if somewhat early.

BTW, that's not a
colossaljourney
lol

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess you are right. The journey will be in the region of 4500 miles; just a small hop.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Hmm.

Autoroute says 1814.4 miles, 3 days 4 hours 14 minutes, 26 hours 37 minutesdriving,
£215.22

Almost as long as my trip via the Black forest, Colditz Castle, a couple of concentration camps and back via Amsterdam

So according to Autoroute you should get back inside your 12,500

·
Registered
251 Posts
If you know you are going over the recommended mileage asper service instructions,it seems sense to me to have the service before your trip.Having it a bit early, I do not think is a problem, having it a bit late could give them grounds to say you did not comply with the service instructions if you have a problem in the future.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I agree with Makem, if you are about to go on an extended trip surely a wise move would be to have the vehicle serviced beforehand

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I quite to agree with these comments. A late service could compromise the warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have noticed that most manufacturers now say annual service or a specified mileage. Mazda and Nissan for example both have service indicators set to the calendar and / or mileage. With todays excellent synthetic oils BMW service indicators are set on mileage only. Surely this is the most honest approach .

·
Registered
31 Posts
I totally agree makem, I too do a small mileage/annum and feel penalized. Surely, a car's ageing is a direct function of the mileage it does over the ground....engine wear, tyre wear, king pin wear, oil circulation etc, etc.
How one changes that, however, could prove a problem due to the fact that warranties might be jeopardized if the "annual" maintenance is not completed according to the book. One might see a scenario where immediately following a maintenance, sickness puts you in limbo for 12 months and on recovery, you find the next maintenance due with no mileage on the car since the last check. Anyone else any thoughts on this. ?

Jaycee

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I would be interesting to know if there is a limit on the BMW 'between service' dates. What is the cost of a service when the trigger is reached? It would be possible to go 2, maybe even 3 years without a service if you were a low mileage driver. How does that cost compare with the cost of 3 services of a Ford? What do BMW say about bodywork?

If Ford did the same as BMW then you would be a liability to them for 6 to 9 years!

I think Ford say the bodywork must be checked every year regardless of mileage to detect corrosion which can occur even if not driven.

Also the dealer knows his income and workload of his service dept. for the next 3 years once a vehicle is sold if Ford's services are carried out. If services were related to mileage then this would not be possible.

I bet it is all spread sheeted to arrive at a selling price.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I understand what you're saying but, why should the low mileage owners subsidize the annual income of Ford dealerships, they've paid top dollar for a new car and simply want it maintained according to the wear it sustains. This should not be linked to a regular revenue simply to support dealerships. I can understand a regular inspection of the bodywork to check possible deterioration so that it can be rectified but I think it unfair to charge excessively when little wear has occurred.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just be grateful that Ford have not gone down the ultimate blackmail route ( yet) of Mazda and others of issuing only digital service records and no service book. I personally will go over the 12 months if the mileage dictates. I have not heard of any warranty problems by doing this . Furthermore if you service vehicles outside of the dealer franchise they would have to prove that you caused damage by not using their specified parts . The moral of the story is don't be bullied ! EU law is on your side . Edited by: NorwichNigel

·
Registered
7 Posts
Makem re: BMW . They still give a mileage / year limit ( whichever comes first) but unless you've signed up for an annual service package they tell you to go on the service lights. Synthetic oils do not degenerate like mineral oils used to . If you're of a nervous disposition and only doing a few miles (say 8000) I would get my serviced once only at the 18 month period. That would more than suffice for the last warranty year!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts