Ford B-Max Forum banner

Satnav

10K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  Boe_Boe 
#1 ·
Rogerhume, Hi

Your pics of the rear view camera are interesting.

I notice you have a satnav mount. Do you find it stays where you put it or does it move around when you corner?

I have a Garmin and their mount would not stick where you have yours. In the end I cut a piece of black plastic 3mm sheet to fit the whole area in front of the LCD. My satnav can now hang over the front of the radio and does not obstruct anything. When I remove the mount it is not easy to tell that I have a satnav which may be in the glove box, so deterring thieves.

#2 ·
I use the adhesive mount, I got fed up replacing the suction pads.The clip is far easier to firmly secure and providing the adhesive pad is a good one (comes with stand) then it stays put with an easy remove.
It does give away the possible presence of a sat nav but they are so common now
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330863161973?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
I also have a disabled badge that might put people of breaking in (according to my daughter who works in a prison) they do have a consience

#5 ·
I don't see your post. Was it is the General Message Area?

By online navigation do you mean using a mobile phone or pc to navigate with whilst online?

If you have difficulty posting the url you could copy and paste the translated text?

Or post the search criteria you used in Google to find the source which you had translated.

Edited by: makem

#6 ·
navigation in B Max

Unfortunately (or maybe luckily) there is At the moment in B Max still no navigation system to order ex works. Nothing is also to be seen by an A-SÃulenhalterrung At the moment. From spring, 2013 there should be then the Sony Navi ex works. If we wait sometimes. I still wait for the MyTouch in the Focus:lol:
If it had to go still I find not necessarily being available the best solution. Know the system from the Focus. The display is too small in my opinion for a navigation system. The map data have become outdated and very expensive if one liked to have an update.:gruebel:
One must keep the hardware as long as one drives a car.

There remains only the mobile solution the also disadvantages, however, more use and flexibility clearly has.

advantages of the mobile solution :

always topical maps and charts (in the case all 3 months) free of charge
the newest hardware
any time against newer hardware exchangeable
Sprachsteurrung
big display
other services like TMC per etc.
favourably in comparison to work solution

disadvantages of the mobile solution:

cable salad
No voice output over the autoloudspeakers

steps 1: She looks for the Navi

It should offer the following:

active fixture
glass of display
lifelong map updates

Under the conditions a lot of Navis are not to be found. I would have taken with pleasure a Navigon. However, Navigon was recently bought up by Garmin and the production of the Navigon Navis was put. Then at the end it became the Garmin Nüvi in 3590 LMT. It offers the active fixture, the glass of display very well can be served (how with the Smartphone) and lifelong map updates all 3 months.:top1:

There a feature I comes not really on the screen had. The linguistic control. I had to ascertain them even wonderfully functioned. If I had not expected thus. One must never touch practically the display. Aim input, POI's, Nothing but / more quietly, Brighter / more darkly everything no problem. Functions very well.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do? cID=401&pID=96637

A few pictures of the Navi:

Still a small advantage is of the EcoRoute HD Bluetooth an adaptor. He connects the Navi with the OBD connection in the vehicle. Besides, one can select some data and select even the mistake memory and extinguishing.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do? pID=38354

Pictures from my Focus:

Step 2 follows :)
Edited by: Boe_Boe

#7 ·
steps 2: Solutions for the disadvantages find

1st problem:

The fixture.

Then after long search I have found the solution of Brodit. I have decided on the variation in the A column.

Pictures (spring Brodit.de):

Here together with the active fixture:

2nd problem:

The cable salad.

The report to the installation and the invisible transfer of the electricity supply and the aerial TMC follows. ;)

3rd problem:

Announcements over the car Loudspeaker.

Also here I have found a very well solution. FastMute is called the part. Besides, the radio is switched silently and the announcements come to very good quality over the loudspeakers in B Max. Over the rear loudspeakers comes furthermore the radio programme or the elective spring. There is suitably in addition the cable harness for B Max. Plug and Play, so to speak.:top1:

Infos in addition from the manufacturer:

http://www.ge-tectronic.de/onlineshop/product_info.php?info=p221_fastmute-sonic-xl-inkl--iso-anschluss.html

http://www.ge-tectronic.de/onlineshop/product_info.php?info=p269_fastmute-x-mono-inkl--iso-anschluss.html

Interesting videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGl0UeXG-dw

Installation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIwQtWjiLO0

Then further it goes with pictures of the installation if B Max, finally, sometimes has left :)Edited by: Boe_Boe

#8 ·
The unit I show in my previous posts is a Garmin Nüvi 3590 LMT.

If you are considering buying one I suggest you wait until the new one which is due out soon, comes out. The drawback would be that it may have bugs which would take a while to iron out, but it would be the best!

If you join this forum you will have friendly advice about all Garmin in-car-navigation hardware and it's use:

http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewforum.php?f=2

I too think that the LCD in the B_MAX is to small for navigation. I use my unit in a vertical position to see as much of the road ahead as possible which helps with anticipation onto slip roads and off roundabouts. You would have little of no road ahead warning using the LCD.

What they say is true about being tied forever to a data supplier who is at the back of the queue with up-to-date-maps and who would in all likelihood, not update their firmware often.

Even with a screen the size of my unit, some text is not easy to read in a casual glance therefore the text on the LCD would be unreadable imo.

I have Traffic Warning with my unit. It is a long heavy cable as an antenna and because of this I have never used it. However, the new Nuvis are coming in with internal Traffic. Maybe I should have waited lol.

Edited by: makem

#11 ·
If you have an Android smart phone, don't buy the Garmin OBDII bluetooth unit (shown in the pictures above), it is far to expensive and once again, would tie you into one supplier.

Far cheaper (£10-£20) to buy an OBDII on ebay or from Amazon and get the software for you phone from the apps site for about £3. Be careful when buyin though as there are many clones out there. Make sure you get ELB327 v1.3b firmware which is not the latest but is all the average person would need. The latest firmware allows the ODBII to be permanently connected, that's all really.

In addition, if you are into computers you could then, using Telnet, experiment with the hardware.

#14 ·
Sooooo we go: top1:

The navigation solution for the A-pillar was not quite so pleased. Cable can not lay invisible and does not look soooo good:

So ordered an original A-pillar bracket from ford fiesta.

Would also be about the a-pillar but it would fit with the b-max too far away. So you have the whole of the place where the holder is provided brodit.
It therefore had to be cobbled together both.
First, the excess abdremeln;)

Everything was in it at eletrotechnics would get built and the brodit Holder came under the cover. Looks in parts like this:

Together this will look like this:

Edited by: Boe_Boe

#17 ·
I certainly can understand

I looked into the mount you suggest but wondered how to power it from the central outlet without have a cable draped across the steering wheel and hanging partly in air.

In my opinion the best place to mount a satnav is central and the simplest, cheapest method is the one I suggested in another thread. The black plastic is very cheap and looks like part of the car dash.

When the satnav's mount is removed it is unobtrusive and would not suggest to any thief that a satnav may be in the car. Your mount does suggest it may be worth breaking a window?

Btw I have wired in my Traffic advice system (Garmin), putting the receiver in the rear of the car and running a cable up front to the satnav. It works fine when tested.

#21 ·
makem said:
Boe_Boe said:
then yes, each holder would be the a-pillar is built from ford an invitation to theft. or there are in the uk not to order?
Not quite sure what you mean by 'uk not to order' Boe_Boe.

If you mean can we purchase in the UK, I am not sure, I did come across it somewhere on the net may have been UK, not sure.

you have previously expressed your mind because of theft. in Germany, there is the holder at the focus, fiesta, etc. from factory order. Unfortunately, not for the b-max

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.