Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the inbuilt satnav in their B Max? I've ordered one, but wondering how effective the small screen is. Does anyone find it to be a problem or is it easy to use and read when driving?
I've had a TomTom one in my Fiestas for about 10 years now and the small screen doesn't bother me as it is easy to read and located in my line of sight, but the new one is going to be a bit further away and housed in the radio display shroud.

·
Registered
712 Posts
That's why I decided against it. It'll be interesting to see what others (that have it fitted) think.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll let you know. Also, I see that Ford charge £180 for an update, which seems a bit steep. I wonder what they will do it for if I insist on a discount.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I bought a TomTom satnav and fitted it to a disc glued onto the dashboard around the A Pillar which is pretty unobtrusive. The new TomTom range includes 6" screens which should be more than big enough. Not only is it a cheaper than the Ford option but map updates are more frequent and a fraction of the cost of Ford maps

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KeithW said:
I bought a TomTom satnav and fitted it to a disc glued onto the dashboard around the A Pillar which is pretty unobtrusive. The new TomTom range includes 6" screens which should be more than big enough. Not only is it a cheaper than the Ford option but map updates are more frequent and a fraction of the cost of Ford maps
Did you hard wire it Keith?

·
Registered
3 Posts
cianpars said:
Does anyone have the inbuilt satnav in their B Max? I've ordered one, but wondering how effective the small screen is. Does anyone find it to be a problem or is it easy to use and read when driving?
I've had a TomTom one in my Fiestas for about 10 years now and the small screen doesn't bother me as it is easy to read and located in my line of sight, but the new one is going to be a bit further away and housed in the radio display shroud.
I had to change from my C-max with 8 inch touch screen to the B-max with its 5 inch satnav and it is actually very good. My reason for downgrading was my wife found the c-max a bit wide so the narrower b-max was chosen. I prefer the B-max sony as it uses buttons whereas the C-max version is a touch screen and been a bit elderly I dont get on well with these and prefer buttons, my phone is an old nokia communicator with a real keyboard!!!!The screen size is is just right without being too much of a distraction, especially at night.
Allan

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's reassuring.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have a BMax with an inbuilt SatNav and I used to have a Chevy Trax with a My Link touchscreen Satnav. Which was much bigger than the Bmax's screen, I think because it was a touchscreen. But back to the BMax's SatNav. It is smaller than some SatNav screens but in the car it fits and looks very well. I have a small European TomTom which ihas a very simialr size screen(touchscreen) and I must say that I prefer the Bmax's SatNav. Mainly because it is much more upto date and intuitive when driving. The way you have to enter info into the inbuilt SatNav is obviously different to the stand alone system but you do get used to it very quickly. We drove through France using ours stopping at various locations, we did have a large map with us to assist when we saw somewhere we liked. Not sure what els youwould like to know, but just respond with a question or 2 and i will answer.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my tomtom screen is only 3 1/2 inches so a 5 inch screen is quite a bit bigger. however it's quite a long way away and the tomtom is right in front behind the steering wheel.

I like the tomtom touchscreen and wonder how I will get on having to use a knob.

·
Registered
242 Posts
When driving along (although you should never take your attention away from the road) if you were to use both a touchscreen and the Bmaxs' Satnavs, In my opinion, you would find usin the Bmaxs' satnav as easy as the touchscreens that we have become used too. With the large knob/dial and the buttons 1-10 with the T9 alphabet next to them, it is actually quite easy to navigate around the system.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TheInstructor said:
When driving along (although you should never take your attention away from the road) if you were to use both a touchscreen and the Bmaxs' Satnavs, In my opinion, you would find usin the Bmaxs' satnav as easy as the touchscreens that we have become used too. With the large knob/dial and the buttons 1-10 with the T9 alphabet next to them, it is actually quite easy to navigate around the system.
I think I understand what you mean, i.e. you have to enter your destination in the same way as we used to have to text with old keypad phones. What does the knob do? Can you save favourites?

Is there a manual for it on line anywhere?

Edited by: cianpars

·
Registered
242 Posts
Cianpars. You are nearly right. I have just checked my sat nav(in the BMax) and you use the knob to direct the letters/numbers of the postcode and press the OKbutton to select the letter/number you want, go up and down for the country and press ok. You can save favourites and it remembers a decent amount of recent places. There are 4 buttons on the bottom of the stereo controls and you have to use these when the satnav is directing you, this is to mute or zoom or mover the map about. Not usre about the online manual.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks Paul. useful info.

·
Registered
242 Posts
A sat nav is a sat nav. Comparing the in car fit to the take out and hide in your glove box one is like comparing tom tom to garmin. All good in their own right. I was fortunate enough to have my BMax provided (pre registered) with the built in sat nav and rear camera and front sensors all built in. Now the only real drawback that I can see, is that ford only release new map builds every couple of years or so. Along with what I have just been told by my main dealer, they only provide new map cards and not an actual update, this would explain the steep price. Eveything else is totally dependant on the person, but if you are looking tohave a factory fit sat nav, just remember the infrequent "updates" and the price when the "updates" are actually released.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, i considered that. Had ir for 2 days and getting used to it but cant yet find a setting to show my speed.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Show your speed on the built in Sat Nav?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep, my old tomtom one shws the speed, which is interestingly several mph lower than that on the speedometer. the speed is also shown in red if the speed limit is exceeded, standing out as a useful reminder.

Since my tomtom is a basic 10 year old model, i expected 2017 ford version to surpass the outdated technology i have already.Edited by: cianpars

·
Registered
242 Posts
Buta Sat Nav isn't a tachometer. It is purely a direction aid device, sorry to sound a bit funny, but. You have a speedo right in front of you on the dash. As a driving instructor, and an advanced driving instructor, if you are busy looking at different areas of your car, for information, you are not concentrating on your driving.
If you don't trust your the speedo in your car get it calibrated. If you don't know where you are going get a Sat Nav.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fair point, but speedos generally under read, especially as tyres wear down. On my old Fiesta, the speedo under read by 10% veraus the satnav.

Shame the Ford one is a downgrade on an 11 year old cheapie.

I know a satnav isnt a tachometer, but i have a rev counter which does that job. I tended to read my speed on the satnav before due to its greater accuracy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts