Ford B-Max Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that nowadays we don't "run in" the engine and gearbox etc. I was, however instructed not to labour the engine and keep the revs down for the first "couple of hundred miles".
What is the score? Do we "run them in" or not?

Geoff

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I think the instructions you were given are in effect the 'running-in' instructions for the modern engines.

Bear in mind that your tyres also need 'running-in' for a similar period to achieve maximum effectiveness.

My previous car, a Toyota Celica T Sport had instructions to keep revs below 2000 rpm in all gears and run-in the tyres for a few hundred miles before squealing around corners. It was happy doing 8,200 rpm in all gears later but some passengers thought the engine would jump out lol.

I would think following something along those line would be of benefit to your engine and gearbox although, I don't know what maximum revs to suggest. I just tend to keep this engine running quietly.

Just my thoughts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK Makem, I am not a "boy racer" so mostly I manage to keep to the instructions.
It's a bit hard to keep the revs down though, that engine (120 PS) really wants to go!

Today I crept upto 70 mph which gave about 3,000 RPM and light throttle so within limits.

I was told to keep to 2,000 to 3,000rpm so that's what I will do.

Geoff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts