Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is 1 year old in October 2016.

I bought it complete with roof rails fitted before collection. I notice rust on each of the 8 fixing bolts which attach the rails to the roof at the place where the bars are attached.

I have requested that the bolts be replaced under warranty but am not sure yet if they come under the warranty, nor do the dealers as they have yet to see the rust.

If they are not replaced under warranty they WILL be replaced free of charge as I will not have rust being transferred by rain down the roof to the front and back of a new car.

I was wondering if anyone else has such experience.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I want roof rails but I refuse to pay near on £300 for them and given that you have to purchase new roof rail covers for your rain channels. Ford are having a giraffe with this.

·
Registered
54 Posts
We all know how expensive those roof rails are, and that gave me an idea: Let's think a bit out of the box. Do you know how to remove rail covers? Also a picture of those rusted bolts may help, so we can see how rails are attached to the roof. Maybe it is not too difficult to make a DIY adapter to attach roof bars

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nick said:
We all know how expensive those roof rails are, and that gave me an idea: Let's think a bit out of the box. Do you know how to remove rail covers? Also a picture of those rusted bolts may help, so we can see how rails are attached to the roof. Maybe it is not too difficult to make a DIY adapter to attach roof bars
Ok, for your edification

Edited by: makem

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is now a discussion as to when the warranty starts on dealer fitted Ford parts.

Some say, the date the order was placed, some, when the vehicle was first registered,others, when the vehicle was collected.

If it was the former then I was 5 days out of warranty for the bolts and Ford would not replace them.

Anyway, the dealer has arranged to replace the bolts at the first service in October, some 12 days before the '1 year after first registration'.

I am wondering if the rails could have been fitted at build time and if they could why they were not. I ordered an identical B-MAX to my first, except for the colour plus the rails. They didn't supply an identical vehicle so had to have another built at their expense. I got extras I didn't pay for because of that such as remote door locking and the little buttons on the door handles.

If they could have been fitted at build time then would they have a 3 year warranty? Even so, if dealer fitted before delivery, maybe still should have a 3 year warranty as they were ordered before the vehicle was built so not my problem. Must do some research with other large Ford dealers.

·
Registered
712 Posts
No, they couldn't have been fitted at build time as they are not listed in the "extras" when configuring a vehicle on Fords' website. (I asked for mud-flaps all round when I ordered my car and these were fitted after delivery to my local dealership.)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hywel S Wales said:
No, they couldn't have been fitted at build time as they are not listed in the "extras" when configuring a vehicle on Fords' website. (I asked for mud-flaps all round when I ordered my car and these were fitted after delivery to my local dealership.)
What warranty period do you have for them and when did it start?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the problem with the day I had them fitted is, I don't know, because they were fitted before I received the car.

Well, I took the car for it's first service at the same dealer company but a different premises. They said the warranty started on the day I paid for the rails even though it was three months from that date to the date I received the car and actually took possession of the rails.

They suggested I speak to the sales rep. at the premises where I bought the car. He waffled about, not really very helpful on the phone and I said I would call in to see him after the service had been carried out.

It appears the bolts cannot be purchased without buying the whole pack at some £220 (reduced price to me). Well anyone who knows me knows I would never pay £220 for 8 small bolts unless they were in some precious metal. They did not have rails in stock either.

Anyway, whilst the service was being carried I and HWMBO went off shopping in Lakeside. Whilst there I received a call to say that my car was ready for collection AND the bolts had been replaced.

Apparently somehow I shook them having mentioned a small claims court ruling that a warranty starts on receipt of the goods. They had removed the bolts from the rails on another car and put them in mine!. Will somebody buy a B-MAX with roof rails and rusty bolts??

Edited by: makem

1 - 10 of 10 Posts