Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have an occasional weird problem, and it goes like this:

Start engine (it normally happens just after starting), disengage clutch, select reverse, start to re-engage clutch to take the load and there is a huge grab as if all the brakes have come on (sometimes a scrabble from one of the front tyres - offside I think), slam the clutch back out and start to re-engage drive and everything is fine. The engine does not stall and pulls away sweetly.
Now my drive is steep uphill and I always drive in forward to get into the garage, so my suspicion is something in the 'Traction Control' system. However the obvious candidate (Hill Start Assist) is not fitted on the Studio. I have checked the tyres and they are all correctly inflated, numerous permutations of handbrake, footbrake, cluth, swearing, starting in neutral, starting in gear with clutch depressed etc. Checked the tyres and pressures are OK
As an experiment I have turned off the traction control over the weekend, as I am not going anywhere long distance or in bad conditions.

Has anyone any bright ideas about this as I don't want to drag to the Dealers if I am actually doing something stupid?

Otherwise I am compiling my list of likes and dislikes with the beast, but overall pleased with the car.

geriatricus

Edited by: Geriatricus

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi D_Z,

must admit I have not noticed, but that is probably because it all happens so quickly.

geriatricus

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have just realised, after taking the beast out this morning, that the Traction Control resets itself to ON whenever the ignition is turned off, so the Menu option of OFF would be required at the start of every trip. Still experimenting and hoping for some brilliant inspiration from somewhere.

geriatricus

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John,

Thanks for the thought, but having a Studio model it is not supposed to have Hill Start Assist, and the (severly reduced) menu only has 'Traction Control' on/off options, and does not seem to mention HSA.

At the moment I am reversing out with TC off and then changing to 'on' before pulling away - as TC covers the ABS as I understand the manual.

Geriatricus

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This morning it happened with the Traction control definitely set to 'Off'.First time in a week, but very, very annoying and still no further forward with diagnosis. If this keeps up I may have to actually approach the dealership

Gieratricus

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After cleaning the winter debris (loose stones/pebbles/sand/leaves) out of the garage and off the drive after the last post, it had not happened again until today. Did it today, just as I was about to post that I had cured it by making sure there was nothing for the drive wheels to slip on in reverse

Went back down the drive and did indeed find that there were some loose stones on the drive and it looked like they had been dragged upwards. Postulate is now that it is something to do with traction control/ABS and it happens when one of the drive wheels thinks it is slipping. When that happens it starts to compensate for an event not really happening.
Will continue to monitor and think about whether it matters.

Geriatricus

1 - 9 of 9 Posts