Ford B-Max Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - new to the B-Max - my hubby has a KUGA, which is fitted with both front and rear parking sensors. The front facing ones are a pain in the ****, however I do rely on the rear ones.
My B-Max has none!!

As the car is Panther Black I could buy a standard set 'off the shelf' without worrying about colour differences. However just need to check on the wiring.

I know a live supply can be picked up from the reversing lights (which is normal) however as the car has a CANBUS wiring loom, will there be any problems with splicing into the reverse light circuit?

Any advice will help me not to reverse into something!!

Many Thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
Best not to use anything other than the Ford set. The sensors installed by Ford can be fitted in flush with the rear bumper and look the part. Yes they will cost more than the off the shelf bought but having spent so much on a lovely smart car "don't spoil the ship for a halfpenny worth of tar".
Think of it as an add on for one of your outfits,bet you would be sure it matched!
Arm987

·
Registered
418 Posts
Ford rear sensors are second to none. They protect rear end, and rear wings, and warning light changes colour with proximity to hazard.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Max B said:
Hi All - new to the B-Max - my hubby has a KUGA, which is fitted with both front and rear parking sensors. The front facing ones are a pain in the ****, however I do rely on the rear ones.
My B-Max has none!!

As the car is Panther Black I could buy a standard set 'off the shelf' without worrying about colour differences. However just need to check on the wiring.

I know a live supply can be picked up from the reversing lights (which is normal) however as the car has a CANBUS wiring loom, will there be any problems with splicing into the reverse light circuit?

Any advice will help me not to reverse into something!!

Many Thanks

You are right to consider there maybe problems with splicing into an established circuit.

However, as John says, the Ford system provides visual warning (Not video unless you pay extra), as well as warning sounds. The additional question should be, "Will I lose the visual warning if I just splice in an off the shelf unit"?

I think it is highly probable that you will and would therefore go along with the suggestion of not spoiling the ship................

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
arm987 said:
The retro fit kit does not have the visual aid just audio,I found this as good as needed.

Looks like I should have read the above before commenting!

By retro kit, I assume you mean that supplied by Ford?

I find it surprising that the visual aid is lost.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I had the Ford ones fitted and agree with arm987 although, do shop around if you have more than 1 dealer in your area. You may think they charge the same being Ford dealers but I contacted another dealer in my area and it was £100 cheaper than the dealer nearest to me.When I put it to the dealer nearest to me,they priced match the other dealer.
Quoted £299
Got them fitted for £199

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Specialk said:
I had the Ford ones fitted and agree with arm987 although, do shop around if you have more than 1 dealer in your area. You may think they charge the same being Ford dealers but I contacted another dealer in my area and it was £100 cheaper than the dealer nearest to me.When I put it to the dealer nearest to me,they priced match the other dealer.
Quoted £299
Got them fitted for £199

Is that an 'agree' with no visual indication is possible with retro fit or no visual indication is necessary?

I have visual indication factory fitted and when I get close to the wall or other vehicle or obstruction I rely totally on the visual indication, I don't even look behind when close. I hear the sound changes but cannot tell exactly where they come from so they just tell me when to check the visual.

In fact sometimes the sound starts far to early and when you get out you find you could have gone back further. My previous car had reverse sensors without the visual indication so I realise what a boon that visual is.

Edited by: makem

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just to clear up the visiual aspect of this matter.
I had my reverses fitted by firm who sold me the car as part of "deal" so possible I was shortchanged I can see the advantage of the full item
However no problem as I have just traded in my bmax for a 3 months old picasso c4 which has the visual system.
Will be a few days before I get new wheels and will,if anyone is interested post a report of my purchase.
I am wondering is it ok to talk about another make on this forum? Comment will be appreciated..

I am not gone just yet!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yes be great to hear about the C4. Citroen rank high numerically in the number of previously owned cars. Citroen GS; GSA, x2 , Picasso Exckusiv made to order with just about every extra on the market, and a C2. I never had a single complaint about any one of my Citroens, economical, ultra reliable, ultra superb ride, and comfort fit for a King. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
A new thread good idea,unless the powers that decide such matters disagree I will in a short time start one.

One thing may I make very very clear I have no complaint of any kind against either Ford or the B max nothing but good memories,I just find it hard to resist a deal

Arm987

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sorry Makem,Just the sensors were fitted, no visual aid. I believe you can have a visual aid which are a series of different colour lights but I was not offered this, so I assume that Ford just do the intermittent beeper

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
No need for apologies m8

I was referring to the visual output from the LCD screen fitted in manufacture.

I think the only way to initiate output there is via the computer system.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I did ask if it was possible to do that Makem and you are correct. Aftermarket sensors cannot be incorporated into the existing screen

·
Registered
418 Posts
Getting a bit complicated this one !! Perhaps it would be easier to fit a rear facing steering wheel on the back seat !!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
John
Will do this ASAP,ought I to post this in say idle chit chat or just as this in a follow up to your post.
Actually other than to this forum I have never been involved in any type of communication such as this.

I think I get delivery on Friday so will give it a week before making comment.

I have had a Picasso for 7 years ,my Son drives it. He has battered the devil out of it but it still runs like a dream driven as only a mad young will drive and returns a steady 48mpg
It has not cost me a penny due to car faults but won't pass comment re cost of sons ownership. Nuff said

·
Registered
418 Posts
Re Citroen, I remember the old GS models that had hydrolastic suspension. People used to say never buy one of those, when they go wrong it costs an arm and a leg to repair. The fact is I did close on to 300,000 in my collection of 'hydrolastic suspension ' cars, not once did I have any problem, with suspension or anything else for that matter. The only garage visits were for annual service.
When you are out on a long motorway journey make a note of the vehicles on the hard shoulder waiting for assistance. Plenty of BMW 's, Toyota's and VW's, but very few Citroens. Sorry this is my last post on non topic subject.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts