Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, not that I need to just now but I was wondering how on earth one is unexpected to replace that bulb. All I can see are two plastic clips attached to the light cluster, which I imagine are just waiting to snap off if forced. The manual is vague to say the least. There seems no other way in, unlike the main light cluster which can be accessed from inside the boot. Anyone have any ideas? ˜�

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi milkman. I have seen this diagram, but like many other illustrations in the manual, it bears no resemblance to the tailgate light cluster arrangement on my 2014 model.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Removed my drivers side light unit yesterday, to remove giant knat that was visible and annoying me.
So here is my how to guide. DO NOT try prising unit off at the two clips, they WILL break.
Open tailgate and slip finger tips under tailgate trim at base of rear window and gently pull downwards until you have enough room to see the lamp holder and twist to remove from unit. Bulbs are bayonnet and different. (reverse to fog).

If removing light unit, insert a small torque wrench with 10 mm socket to release a nut that holds light unit secure, its towards the pointed end of light unit, then swivel unit around to release at clips end. Remove giant knat and replace in reverse order.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tip algie. All I can say is, you must have phenomenally tiny fingers as I could not even get my finger nails in where you suggest.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've got several dead insects within that light cluster but I think I might ask Ford to do it before the 3 year warranty runs out. Will report back and see how they do it.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
A bulb went on my wife's Kia, and they replaced it under warranty, so I would be disappointed if Ford didn't do the same. I must admit that I am thinking of ditching Ford though for my next car as I am becomming less impressed over their service level and charges recently. In this respect, I have had 9 Fords over my 40 years of driving.

·
Registered
212 Posts
gadgee said:
I've got several dead insects within that light cluster but I think I might ask Ford to do it...
Ask them! I did and the dealer said he used a vacuum cleaner to extract "my" insects. Free of charge, of course! :>

·
Registered
1 Posts
1 Bend flap to expose wing nut and lighting harness through slot in bodywork
2 Remove wing nut. Probably easier to use screwdriver to loosen
3 Pull lighting decal from outside car
4 Remove lighting harness by pulling white connector. Press clip to release.
5 unfasten the 4 cross head screws to release bulb holder

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still no further forward on how to access the reverse light cluster, which is not accessable via the main light cluster assembly. The only way I can see, is to remove the large one piece tail gate panel but then there is no obvious way in as there are no screws or clips.

Think it is time to chat to my Ford dealer just as matter of curiosity. Maybe; just maybe, the reverse lamp is so good it will never need replacing

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Utterly daft!

Like I say chaps, Ford have clearly designed a lamp that will never fail.A eureka moment me thinks.Congrats Ford. Will you extend this marvelous creation to other lamps - sure hope so.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Willow said:
Utterly daft!

Like I say chaps, Ford have clearly designed a lamp that will never fail.A eureka moment me thinks.Congrats Ford. Will you extend this marvelous creation to other lamps - sure hope so.
most manufactures are looking to non replaceable LED lighting - so replace a module rather than an incandescent bulb
but do note that fog and reverse lights are used so little, its reasonable to expect a long lifetime, and thus the ease of maintenance may not be a huge factor in the design

Edited by: Gremlin

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
It's as if car manufacturers don't want you to maintain your own vehicle any more.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My brother informed me the other day that after we last met, he noticed a brake light out on my car as I was leaving. I checked and they were all working, but it did belatedly bring to my notice the fact that I have no idea how to access any of the bulbs, front or rear. I've found some guidance on here but again, it doesn't seem to match the arrangement on my car.

I seem to remember reading somewhere on this forum that although there's no Haynes for the B Max, the fittings are similar to those on the Fiesta of the same age so the Haynes for that car would prove useful for stuff like bulb replacement etc. Has anyone here who has a B Max bought a Fiesta Haynes?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I do not think the Fiesta manual will be any use, because the only thing that is different on the B-Max is the body, and that is totally different than the Fiesta.

·
Registered
120 Posts
jackkook said:
I do not think the Fiesta manual will be any use, because the only thing that is different on the B-Max is the body, and that is totally different than the Fiesta.

Thanks for that, you may well have just saved me 20 quid.
Given that other post I read, I assumed that the external fittings might be similar, but if they're not then I might need to mosey on down to my local Ford dealer and ask for a demo.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts