Ford B-Max Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a B-Max titanium 1.6 powershift auto and today when I used the remote to lock it all the doors locked, power mirrors folded in ok but tailgate would not lock. Is it something I'm doing wrong as this has not happened before?I'd really appreciate your help otherwise it's a trip to the dealer on monday.
Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have just opened my garage to check on this one for you. My key definitely locks the tail gate with no problems at all. If one of the doors was slightly ajar then the locking system would not operate, nor the mirrors fold. I would suggest that you have a problem with the tailgate lock. However, experiment with the key fob, and press the button dedicated to opening the boot only, and then try locking it. Also try locking the doors with the tail gate open, and see if it rejects the action. Failing that I am afraid it is a return to the dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou so much JohnWales for your prompt reply. I will try what you suggest and if still no joy I'll pop into the dealer tomorrow. I thought perhaps it was me having a 'blonde' (silver) moment, lol!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do you have Keyless entry? because then you will always be able to open your boot when you are near the car and wearing your key.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Regards this thread, I have identified a potential problem, or could be a fault on my system. On locking the car in the garage earlier, I noticed that the interior light remained on, but as the mirrors had folded I assumed the vehicle was securely locked. However, slightly concerned about the interior light situation I checked on it a few minutes later and it was still on. I know the accessory outlets retain their power for about 10 minutes, which I find annoying, but this was something new to me. Any way I checked my doors and the rear nearside was not correctly closed. This presumably would have resulted in internal power being maintained throughout the night. I then checkedboth rear doors, and established that even if one of them was left fully open, the rest of the doors would lock and the mirrors fold !!!

Can somebody else please check out their cars, to establish whether thisis a fault or weakness in design. After all,with sliding rear doors, it would not be all that difficult to leave the car with one of them completely open.

·
Registered
15 Posts
John, I know that this will works as described by you, but will test it tomorrow anyways. On my previous Fiesta i used this a a future, I already locked the car, while the passengers in the back were still getting out, after they closed it, it would lock the rest. I did however not realize about the risk it could be, up until I read your perspective. It will however not drain your battery, after 30 minutes of no action, it will cut off all power, even with an open door or anything, I've tested this as this happens to me after washing the car while cleaning the interior.

·
Registered
251 Posts
JOHNWALES, checked what you were asking, and if I lock the car with either of the back doors fullyopen it does lock and the mirrors fold but immediately you close the back doors then they are locked also.Does this help ?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yes thanks Specialk, that is exactly what happens with my car. Of course if you leave a front door slightly ajar the locking and folding mirror process is rejected. I am surprised that this does happen when the rear doors are not closed. I suppose the easiest way of ensuring the car is secure, is to make sure the interior light goes out when you lock it; particularly when you are carrying back seat passengersnot familiar with the system.
Thanks for checking it out !!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thankyou so much everyone for your replies. I went to the dealer who explained that I have in fact got complete keyless entry and with the key in your pocket or bag the tailgate will automatically lock when you move a few yards away from the car. He very kindly demonstrated this and also demonstrated the return to the car and using the little black button on the drivers door handle to gain entry without using the remote key once you are within range with the key in your pocket.I must admit I did feel a bit of a fool but the dealer I bought the car from (not my local one) should have explained the system to me.
Many thanks to you all and to Cuff Miller Ford of Littlehampton

PS. Dealer put my mind at rest that the tailgate was in fact locked once the key was placed on his office desk right away from my car, he asked me to try the tailgate and bingo it was indeed locked!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Glad that was a ghost problem, but in case googlers parachute into this thread. I accidentally discovered my B-max's boot was permanently unlocked (even with the keys a long way off).

Possibly it was unlocked for months, with expensive stuff stored in it. Of course owners may never know, as they'll never try to open the boot without the keys being near.

The garage had to replace the wire leading to the boot. (cost £90 + labour, but its on warranty as 1y old)

So, I just suggest if you own a B-max, you should occasionally get a bit paranoid. Post your car keys to your granny in Scotland, & then check if your boot really is locked.

I wonder if my insurance would have been invalid if someone used my permanently unlocked boot to gain entry?

I think I may have had warning of the failing wire-loom to the boot. My 'boot unlocked' light came on a few times when driving, but I simply put it down to accidentally pushing the unlock button when in my pocket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sometimes my boot doesn't shut properly so I always check the interior light if it hasn't gone off I know the boot needs shutting again....don't want interior light left on :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts