Ford B-Max Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I corner the children's seats are tilting and moving about too much in the back. If I pull on the belt it stops as it should but surely the seats shouldn't move this much? not ever had this in another car. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Have you fixed them as shown in the manual?

There is an ISO fixing especially for fixing childs seat and they should not move about noticably.

If you are not sure how to fix, perhaps the place you bought them can help?

·
Registered
231 Posts
In addition to mackem's points, there is also the anchor point for the top of the child's seats. When locked into the ISO mountings and with the top strap fixed in place, my grandkids seats are rock solid.

geriatricus

·
Registered
231 Posts
Mackem

No, but they are lifted off and out the way. No-one else can sit there with the child seats in place, so it's no loss.

Geriatricus

·
Registered
231 Posts
There is a bracket directly behind each seat, set below the upperlevel of the floor platform. The floor platform has small cut-outs at each sideof the front edgeunder the 'cloth' covering allowing the strap to pass through. The manual describes these as the correct place to connect upper child seat straps when used with an Isofix seat.
It is better to remove the platform and set everything up, and thenreplace it during the journey(s). It is the 'tonneau' for the boot area that I cannot remember about. It may have to be removed but I honestly can't bring to mind.

Considering how tall some seats are nowadays and how high the child sits, it seems a sensible thing to use the top strap as the torque moment around the ISO-fixings must be considerable in rapid deceleration.

Geriatricus

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I thought the iso fixings were at the level of the rear seat seat and the clips were pushed below the rear seat back to attach the bar to which you refer.

I agree, the top would tend to travel anticlockwise around the iso fixing in a head-on. That is why I am asking where the top strap goes.

I assume the top strap you refer to is attached to the top rear of the childs seat?

I always thought the iso fixing was used in conjunction with the rear seat belts which then would tend to reduce the top movement forwards. I was surprised to see a mention of a third fixing.

Edited by: makem

·
Registered
231 Posts
I don't know if all child seats have the capability to utilise a top strap, but the ones bought by my offspring for the grandkids all have the facility. The strap is detachable and clips on at top rear of the seat, and at the bottom brackets I described. As you say, the Lap & Diagonal also goes around the seat forming the actual child restraint and holding the seat in place.However (not actually knowing), I assume that seats are available somewhere with the restraint straps built into the seat, or some other combination of construction which means that it is advisable to have the extra security of the top strap. In my case no effort is too much for the safety of the grandkids, so Iso, L&D and top strap all get put on when the seats are transferred into the B-Max.
In my motor , there is a diagram on the back of the rear seats just above the bottom bracketsshowing how to use them.

Geri
Edited by: Geriatricus

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Sorry, I am still curious where the top strap goes.

Call me pedantic if you like but as each of the rear seats is of a different width, it can't go round the seat. You say the headrests are removed so not there either.

I have had 6 children and never seen a top strap, must be something new.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi
The seats in question have a bracket at the back of the top. The (extra) top strap, fixes there. The strap goes vertically down and fixes on the bracket I have described (which would double as a fixing for a luggage net) down in the lower area of the load compartment.
As I said there is a diagram on the back of the rear seats at the two positions equivalent to where the isofix brackets are located in the rear seats.

I assume it is not too new an idea, as the comment about them is in the manual (pg 16 - I was one of the lucky ones and had a paper copy with the car
). It also shows where the diagram is - if you have very good eyes and imagination.

Geri

1 - 12 of 12 Posts