Ford B-Max Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Yesterday I thought I had broken the rear seat mechanism which lowers the seat squab when the Back goes down.

I was lowering it when it seemed to stick, pushed harder and then big bang and the back went down but the squab stayed where it was. Much swearing and recrimination; and on looking, something in the rear seat well had got under the seat and was jamming it and had caused something to give way.
Expecting a large bill, I trooped to the local dealer and explained the problem. Mechanic and Service manager popped out to look at the motor in their car park. Within five minutes they had spotted the cable was slack under the seat and examined behind the seat from the boot well. They realised that the sleeve which guides the cable around a corner had jumped out of its (plastic) clip, pushed the guide back into place and everything was hunky dory again. Showed me how to fix it if I demonstrate crass stupidity again, and checked that nothing looked broken.
Stated no charge, so there will be a compliments and thank-you letter sent today. As a result they will get any real problems to look at in future.

There are two things I am taking from this. Firstly, DO NOT FORCE the seat back down if it resists! Secondly, a little goodwill to customers goes a long way.

Cheers
Geri

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I just did exactly the same thing ... but with more drastic results. The cable is attached to an activating bar round a little 'wheel' & I have broken that wheel thus leaving the end of the cable loose.
Does anyone know if there is an easy repair/replacement that can be done?

Thanks for your help,
Arthur

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Arthur and welcome to the forum,

Bad Luck that, but I seem to remember that the dealer said that the cable system is available as a complete unit if the thing is broken. It looks like a screw-in job so may not be too difficult, although how much the cable unit would cost I have no idea.

Cheers,
Geri

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

When this happened to me, one of them held the seatback about halfway up, so as to get some slack in the cable; and the other used strong hands to lift the cable back into place.
That is as much as I can help as they did it for me.

Best of Luck,
Geri

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Interesting thread. I hadnt even noticed that the base of the seat dropped when the back was put forward. I just went out and checked and it sure does.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorted it now, unclip the cable from the C clip on the back of the seat under the boot carpet, this gives enough slack to reattach the cable under the seat around the little guide wheel then put the cable back into the c clip to put the tension back. Job done
Edited by: Cookie1

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorted it now, unclip the cable from the C clip on the back of the seat under the boot carpet, this gives enough slack to reattach the cable under the seat around the little guide wheel then put the cable back into the c clip to put the tension back. Job doneEdited by: Cookie1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.